Chippychick123

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2018
So recently we built a pretty a medium sized coop for our chickens enough room to walk around etc. and we have two doors on each side for roaming. But we did not add in a window because we thought that since it’s the winter we wouldn’t want any drafts. This weekend it’s suppose to be well below freezing and we are expecting freezing rain and snow. Should I keep at least one coop door open or should I leave them closed for warmth or just open one for enough ventilation? I’m new to chicken owning and this is my first winter any tips will be appreciated thanks!

So recently we built a pretty a medium sized coop for our chickens enough room to walk around etc. and we have two doors on each side for roaming. But we did not add in a window because we thought that since it’s the winter we wouldn’t want any drafts. This weekend it’s suppose to be well below freezing and we are expecting freezing rain and snow. Should I keep at least one coop door open or should I leave them closed for warmth or just open one for enough ventilation? I’m new to chicken owning and this is my first winter any tips will be appreciated thanks!
Chickens need to be dry. With a CLOSED up coop condensation builds up. Between their poops and exhalation that is a lot of moisture. Chickens are hardy. They wear a down coat and they roost letting their feathers cover their feet. Some also tuck their head under a wing to keep their comb warmer. My chickens have weathered -20F. I check their combs every morning. Usually they are up and squawking for breakfast so their combs might be cool but never cold. I had my birds out on the snow eating breakfast at -9F. Look around at the wild birds with no cover. And the crows. I wondered once how seagulls keep their feet warm in that cold Atlantic. Google it. Interesting on their circulatory system, probably not quite like chickens. You'll be surprised what chickens can handle.
You are correct no drafts. Put your vents up toward the ceiling. The way my roof is on my coop there are nice gaps. I have to keep it shoveled off. I don't want the snow to block those vents. Beside I use the snow to bank my run. Snow is a good insulator. Many people around here bank their houses with snow. Right up to the windows. Think of igloos but even they have a vent hole.
ETA: My hen house is prefab ( boooo hisss) not insulated but I do have a clear tarp around any fenced area i.e. the run. I have no heating in the coop. I have good ventilation. And I "air out" my coop each morning. Also, have some deep bedding on the floor that is some insulation for their feet when they decide to walk around.

Last edited:
Chickens need to be dry. With a CLOSED up coop condensation builds up. Between their poops and exhalation that is a lot of moisture. Chickens are hardy. They wear a down coat and they roost letting their feathers cover their feet. Some also tuck their head under a wing to keep their comb warmer. My chickens have weathered -20F. I check their combs every morning. Usually they are up and squawking for breakfast so their combs might be cool but never cold. I have my birds out on the snow eating breakfast at -9F. Look around at that wild birds with no cover. And the crows. I wondered once how seagulls keep their feet warm in that cold Atlantic. Google it. Interesting on their circulatory system, probably not quite like chickens. You'll be surprised what they can handle.
opps

How can it be well below freezing and you still get rain?

I would keep everything open.

How can it be well below freezing and you still get rain?

Not the OP, but they are saying "freezing rain". Down here in Seattle we probably have 15 different types of rain. Like how the First Nations people up by you have 50 words for snow. Or is that just an urban legend? Haha.

I keep my coop door open in all weather. The chickens can decide if they want to go out or not. Also you can make a window that doesn't open so it's doesn't create a draft, though I do have additional vents near the ceiling. I just have a fixed Plexiglas window so my chickens can get as much light as possible, but it stays closed.

If you choose to only open one door, make your decision based on which way the wind is blowing!

I agree with chickens being warm if they are dry. Get that moisture out of the coop. They each wear a wonderfully warm down jacket that does a great job in keeping the birds warm in winter. At -22 F my birds are out in their protected from the wind run all day. They hate being in the coop when there is daylight. I have a 6' x 8' coop with 10 square feet of vents that are never closed so that the moisture leaves the coop. The vents are placed so the birds do not have a breeze blowing on them which might ruffle their feathers and make them cold.

Think about it this way. You've seen those little sparrows and wrens outside in the winter. They are flitting all over the place. Do they look as if they are miserable and freezing to death? Nope, they have their own down jackets on and for the most part are perfectly suited to the temperatures they live in. My grandmother gave me all her books and articles on raising canaries. The books said to remove the ice from the water dishes first thing in the morning so the canaries can get a drink. The warning was to keep a draft off the birds so they won't get cold, not provide heat. So even canaries are hardier in the cold than most people imagine.

Chickens can handle cold weather. They have more difficulty dealing with the heat of summer. Yet no one has suggested an air conditioned coop for those hot muggy days of 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

I agree with chickens being warm if they are dry. Get that moisture out of the coop. They each wear a wonderfully warm down jacket that does a great job in keeping the birds warm in winter. At -22 F my birds are out in their protected from the wind run all day. They hate being in the coop when there is daylight. I have a 6' x 8' coop with 10 square feet of vents that are never closed so that the moisture leaves the coop. The vents are placed so the birds do not have a breeze blowing on them which might ruffle their feathers and make them cold.

Think about it this way. You've seen those little sparrows and wrens outside in the winter. They are flitting all over the place. Do they look as if they are miserable and freezing to death? Nope, they have their own down jackets on and for the most part are perfectly suited to the temperatures they live in. My grandmother gave me all her books and articles on raising canaries. The books said to remove the ice from the water dishes first thing in the morning so the canaries can get a drink. The warning was to keep a draft off the birds so they won't get cold, not provide heat. So even canaries are hardier in the cold than most people imagine.

Chickens can handle cold weather. They have more difficulty dealing with the heat of summer. Yet no one has suggested an air conditioned coop for those hot muggy days of 90 degrees and 90% humidity.
And people put a cover over their bird cage at night usually even in the house. No draft.

Back
Top Bottom