Cold Hardiness of Bantam/Will the Big Ladies Pick on the Little Ladies

SandyC

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
The Flint Hills, Kansas
I'm looking in increase my flock this year. I currently have 5 Americanas and 3 Buff Orpingtons. I thought that I would like to try some Bantams, but have 2 questions. First, will the regular sized ladies pick on the smaller ones due to their size and if I get Bantams where the regular sized breed is very cold hardy, will the Bantam be cold hardy too? I am thinking about Partridge Wyandottes and Bantam Americanas.

Thanks!

We have 3 banty's in with our 17 big girls, 2 D'unccles and 1 seabright.
The banty's hold their own with the big girls. As for cold hardy, I guess it depends. Our seabright we got as a recsue last winter. She lost all of her toes to frostbite, her previous owner let them free range all winter with no coup to warm up in (was -15 the day we picked them up). Give them a warm place when its cold and they'll be fine.

Thanks! I can't imagine that Northern NY is much colder than Alaska is!
smile.png

I have 2 bantam cochin hens in with my standard chanteclers, and there is no picking on the little guy going on in the coop. But they were all brooded together and I've heard that makes a difference, but who knows. I"m sure with plenty of room they will be fine

Back
Top Bottom