Cold Hardy chicken breeds suggestions?

Smaller combs & wattles reduce frostbite risk, but adequate shelter is essential. Need to consider perching toes getting cold too, small perches like we see parrots on aren't good, I actually used 2x4s.

Once chickens know & love their coop, feeling safe & secure inside it, they'll often get closer to the coop as daylight begins to fade, then put themselves to bed when it's dusk. Calling them in sooner mid day (like if a bad storm is approaching) isn't always easy, but if you practice with treats (mealworms) in addition to a sound (the bell, or I call mine in same way, same tone & same words) they'll learn to come to you Whenever you need them to, not just at dusk. This can be fun to teach & create bonds with your flock, but it's really also a very valuable life saving action at times. When we had sudden storm bursts, I was so glad my chickens listened to me & I got them all in, then got myself inside safely, Before hail, tornado or lightning bolts started! Trust me, it's not fun running around outside with lightning bolts zigzagging across the sky. Get yourself 2 good weather apps on your phone, too, set alerts so you know what is headed your way. Work with them & teach them to come running when you need them to...Before a storm actually hits. Unfortunately we cannot be with them 24/7 due to work, school, & life as such it is, but at least if you practice this at times, the chickens will learn quickly & feel when the barometric pressure changes & get themselves to safety. They really are pretty smart...most of the time. 🤪

If they're out free ranging & a fox runs up or hawks dives in, they'll scatter to run & hide, some will run for the coop if nearby, some may run to hide under the nearest shrub or elevated shed. Depending upon your types of predators, the predators lack of fear of humans (some will not care if a human is right there & still grab a chicken dinner), the abundance, or lack of, places available for chickens to hide, you may rethink the predator proof pens idea & only free range if you're right there with them...I only mention it because that's what I had to do, to keep my flock alive.

As for breeds, I have Wyandotte, Maran, Australorp, EEs, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rock, RIR & I haven't had any issues, but I did insulate the coops, they naturally stay warmer in winter, cooler in summer, plus I have fans & windows on all 4 sides, mostly open, unless we get storms, then I just close the windows in the direction the wind could blow precipitation in. The goal is to keep coop dry. I scoop poop under perches daily, only takes 15 min & well worth it, for the times when they'll have to stay cooped up due to a week of nasty weather, (if you scooped poop all week, then those days cooped up, poop accumulating, won't be so piled up than if you hadn't scooped). Piled up poop creates it's own humidity...makes coop "wet" even if you don't have outside precipitation blowing in, so always strive for a dry coop. Simple humidity can cause frostbite, too. For those bad weather weeks & months, they'll be inside more, so consider the size of coop & perch space, more is better, less squabbles. A dry coop is a healthy coop, I use wood chips inside coop, big bark chips in pens. Covered pens are best, but mine are only covered by hardware cloth wire. Try to avoid muddy areas, add more bark mulch. I check for bumblefoot & address it immediately. Know that a wet coop or muddy run can cause bumblefoot.

Predators in general will go for any chicken they can catch, but white & lighter color feathers seem to make chickens easier targets, easier to spot, even if they hide under shrubs. Cooper Hawks zoom right into shrubs full speed...they catch sparrows easily & can tangle with chickens, too. I noticed they always go after my paler feather color chickens & pigeons. If all you have are dark color feathered birds, they'll still go for them, though. They gotta eat, too, just make it harder for them to eat your flock.

Hope this helps & best of luck on your chicken journey...You're gonna love it! ❤️ 🐓
Yeah I've thought about alot of that. I myself am sensative to storms. (Massive paranoia) but where I live the tornados tend to jump our county since were right off of lake Michigan. Were doing a concrete foundation. Were planning on getting metal sheds off amazon during the winter and anchor them into the concrete. I'm a little worried because its a metal building but theyll be right off the side of our house on a hill so I'm not to worried about extremely wet ground since its on a fairly steep hill.. We also have an easy access to electricity and our hose.

I've already considered all the predator danger during the day and we've decided to take the risk. We have alot of spots for hiding through the yard up here. We have coyotes, bears, foxes, neighbors dogs but our main concern is the eyes in the sky lol Our area does have some fairly good size birds. We often see hawks and a couple eagles througout the summer and sometimes a owl. My mom and I are home most days. We only go out maybe 3-4 days a month at max? and sometimes thats just my mom. I tend to want to stay home so I only go out once or twice a month if i can help it. I'm antisocial in person and pretty much just prefer staying home due to agoraphobia. I've been discussing with my mom about setting up extra security such as burying barbed wire around the run and even later on getting a chicken tractor for our more important egg layers.

The routine isn't set yet (Probably wont be until we actually have them). My parents wake up by 7am but I sleep till 10-11am because I am a night owl and usually stay up till 1-4am. But between us 3 I'm sure we can find a routine that works for all of us. But I just know already I'll be the main caretaker when it comes to food, water, cleaning and gathering eggs. And I'll also be the one to get them back in at night. Which is why I'm set on trying to train them to come back for food/treats lol.
Also I know they all have personalities and are different. I've been around my sister in laws chickens and their rooster Waffles while hes also definately the dominant one and semi braver one.. Hes kinda.. Dumb? Hes always the one I struggle to get back to the coop whenever I get asked to take care of them. He'll get right before the door and then turn and go around the side and try climbing/flying up the side of their hoop coop and im like "really dude you have a few loose marbles" and you may be wondering why not use food well it just so happens my brother and them suck at letting me know where they leave the food because one day itll be on the porch and the next its not and it gets annoying. But the most annoying thing is their flock of ducks. Those buttheads refuse to come within 10 feet of a human. And unfortunately the food thing doesnt work with them because you dont get 10 feet inside the run and theyll stand at the door and if you try going out theyll scatter around and then you still have to herd them back in before the chickens try escaping again. I don't see a future in ducks lol But then again I can't expect their chickens and ducks to enjoy human contact because we often see my nieces chasing them around the yard and nearly tackling them to pick them up. Specially the ducks..

Australorps almost got dropped but I kept pushing for them!
Australorps are great birds, IMO. I also have a Jubilee Orpington (beautiful coloring) who was my most consistent layer this last summer. She was the only one to go broody, though. She was fairly easy to break, and went back to laying quickly. All of them came through both winter cold and summer heat just fine.

I had a Buff Orpington rooster. He was the only bird to have frostbite issues, and lost bits of his wattles and the tips of his comb both winters I had him. He passed away this last April, and now I have a Chantecler rooster. He has a strawberry comb, almost no wattles, so I'm thinking he will do well in the cold.

Since you're not getting birds until spring, you have plenty of time to learn all you can. Not just about the breeds, but different kinds of coops/runs/feeds, everything. Don't hesitate to post and ask any questions (we all were new to this at some point); the pool of knowledge here on BYC is wide and deep.

Stop by the Michigan thread and say hi. You mentioned you are near Lake Michigan; near what town? We have a regular group from all over the state.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ll-are-welcome.697050/page-5449#post-26296686

For everything you are looking for, Wyandottes is the right breed for you!
- They are extremely resistant to winter, no frostbite (I am attaching a picture of my beauties proudly posing at -15 C)
20210117_144915.jpg
20210117_145151.jpg

- They are beautiful! There are a large number of colors of this breed.
-They are big and meaty (super sweet and juicy meat)
- They lay medium-sized, pink eggs (a big plus is that they are constant in laying, they lay non-stop every 36 hours for 32 months, even during molting) After 32 months, they take a break of 2-3 months without laying!
IMG_20211231_134443.jpg
20221013_074856.jpg

-They can become broody (because of their heavy bodies, they often break the eggs, but they can hatch chicks successfully) My girl successfully fed 12 silkie chicks even though she was in molting!
IMG_20220713_164516.jpg
IMG_20220729_161830.jpg

- They have quite mild personalities, they are not aggressive!
In my own experience, their only drawback is their susceptibility to Marek's disease, but this can be successfully prevented by vaccination.

For everything you are looking for, Wyandottes is the right breed for you!
- They are extremely resistant to winter, no frostbite (I am attaching a picture of my beauties proudly posing at -15 C)View attachment 3314447View attachment 3314459
- They are beautiful! There are a large number of colors of this breed.
-They are big and meaty (super sweet and juicy meat)
- They lay medium-sized, pink eggs (a big plus is that they are constant in laying, they lay non-stop every 36 hours for 32 months, even during molting) After 32 months, they take a break of 2-3 months without laying!View attachment 3314450View attachment 3314449
-They can become broody (because of their heavy bodies, they often break the eggs, but they can hatch chicks successfully) My girl successfully fed 12 silkie chicks even though she was in molting!View attachment 3314451View attachment 3314452
- They have quite mild personalities, they are not aggressive!
In my own experience, their only drawback is their susceptibility to Marek's disease, but this can be successfully prevented by vaccination.
Arn't those Silver laced? Their so pretty! I saw the silver laced wyandottes and orpingtons and their soooo gorgeous. The orpingtons were on the expensive side as much as i wanted them and the wyandottes while they did look like beautiful birds my mom said it would have to be a later on addition because she already seemed set on the columbian rocks being the white and black bird of the flock lol I don't know why shes so set on them. I would definately pick Wyandottes if I could lol

Australorps are great birds, IMO. I also have a Jubilee Orpington (beautiful coloring) who was my most consistent layer this last summer. She was the only one to go broody, though. She was fairly easy to break, and went back to laying quickly. All of them came through both winter cold and summer heat just fine.

I had a Buff Orpington rooster. He was the only bird to have frostbite issues, and lost bits of his wattles and the tips of his comb both winters I had him. He passed away this last April, and now I have a Chantecler rooster. He has a strawberry comb, almost no wattles, so I'm thinking he will do well in the cold.

Since you're not getting birds until spring, you have plenty of time to learn all you can. Not just about the breeds, but different kinds of coops/runs/feeds, everything. Don't hesitate to post and ask any questions (we all were new to this at some point); the pool of knowledge here on BYC is wide and deep.

Stop by the Michigan thread and say hi. You mentioned you are near Lake Michigan; near what town? We have a regular group from all over the state.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ll-are-welcome.697050/page-5449#post-26296686
We are near Manistee :) I looked at Orpingtons pretty hard as well during researching! I loved the Silver Laced but unfortunately the initial flock my mom doesn't want to spend that much per bird because itll be our learning period.

I am worried about the frostbite issues but thatll be a end of first year worry and were doing an indoor brooder because were getting them probably march/april (I think it was april when they ship birds) anyways were doing an indoor brooder in our walk out basement so theyll be out in the coop by the time snow stays gone so I have roughly till march to officially have everything all researched and planned out and convincing my mother of specifics. Last night I was looking at brooder ideas. I am talking to my mom about doing a heating plate instead of a heating lamp but most of thats because of my paranoia. I am still completely unsure of what the brooder will turn out to be.. I like the kiddy pool idea ones. We'll probably be going with something thats easy to break down after the first time since we probably wont get into incubating/hatching our own till the 2nd or 3rd year I used to do alot of fishkeeping and saw the ideas for using aquariums but unfortunately the biggest aquarium I have is a 29 gallon long so I don't think thats big enough even as a initial right after hatching brooder.

So we have the exterior coop/run ideas down. Still looking into feeder, nesting box ideas. My mom wants to do raised feeders because we learned (More like I learned) that chickens are messy. I was pretty grossed out by the chicken poop covering my sister in laws feeder. I'm also doing alot of looking into roosting bar sizes.

My sister in law is going to be doing a coop shed soon as the weather cooperates enough to lay cement so I'll be able to get a good idea on what we can do once we gets hers set up cause were probably going for the same size as hers but we'll be getting two

Don't hesitate to post and ask any questions (we all were new to this at some point); the pool of knowledge here on BYC is wide and deep.
Absolutely! I Still consider myself a Newbie with Chickens, had birds in my life for decades but poultry only since 2015. I learn something new & valuable on this site every day. 😊

👍

Were planning on getting metal sheds off amazon during the winter and anchor them into the concrete. I'm a little worried because its a metal building but theyll be right off the side of our house on a hill so I'm not to worried about extremely wet ground since its on a fairly steep hill.. We also have an easy access to electricity and our hose.

Metal animal housing is often an excellent choice. It's easy to build, cost-effective with today's lumber prices, and durable.

The two downsides are:

#1. A metal shed that was not designed as animal housing is often hard to ventilate. Here is my article on coop ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

#2. In certain climates -- your state thread will be the most helpful about this -- it *can* be prone to condensation when warm. moist air rising off the animals hits the cold metal.

It can help with that problem to both have adequate airflow moving underneath the slope of the roof from the bottom to the top to carry away the warm, moist air AND to have some kind of thermal break between the air and the metal. This is one of the few times you *might* actually want to insulate a chicken coop -- at least the underside of the roof (being aware that fiber insulation attracts rodents and that chickens WILL eat any foam board that they can reach). :)

Arn't those Silver laced? Their so pretty! I saw the silver laced wyandottes and orpingtons and their soooo gorgeous. The orpingtons were on the expensive side as much as i wanted them and the wyandottes while they did look like beautiful birds my mom said it would have to be a later on addition because she already seemed set on the columbian rocks being the white and black bird of the flock lol I don't know why shes so set on them. I would definately pick Wyandottes if I could lol
Yes, they are silver laced, but there are even more beautiful blue laced ones. Wyandottes come in a wide range of colors, I think it is a breed of chickens that covers all the color palettes that exist in the world.
Orpington chickens are just as beautiful, but they don't meet your criteria, because they lay smaller eggs and in fewer numbers than Wyandottes. Although they look like big chickens, they have smaller bodies (less meat). They are quite sensitive to diseases and I don't recommend them to beginners.
I don't know how much they cost here in Michigan, but I'm sure that when you get yourself an incubator, you can get eggs cheaply from local breeders.
Wyandottes in the USA should be widespread and popular.

Wow you have Beautiful Wyandotte pics! 😍
Love them in the snow, that is frame worthy!
I am partial to them as well. My original Roo is Silverlaced with 3 hens, a Blue & 2 Ivory with maybe 2 red feathers in each. The "kids" are Blue Laced Reds.
20201209_220508.jpg

20210410_094039.jpg 20201130_132920.jpg
20200927_133151.jpg 20210717_193800.jpg 20200927_131452.jpg
20200914_111135.jpg
20201004_121341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom