Cold hardy chickens

I had two barred rocks and two buff rocks on Cape Cod for years in a small coop. They did fine in the winter. They didnt look too happy about the snow , but had no problems. They dislike the heat more than the cold. I had a light bulb on in the coop in the colder months for warmth and the walls were insulated. My coop is not that big, so i imagine chicken body heat helps. They have a roosting pole off the ground and they huddle together. . If it got super cold, I would lock them in at night with the wooden door to keep out the drafts. but otherwise they had just had a small burlap door into their pen. Tiny chickadees make it through winter, and chickens have a lot more insulating feathers .
3 of these same chickens now travel with me to Northern Florida in the winter. They are around 6. More pets than layers.They travel by car in a rabbit cage and don't make a peep except for some clucking on a fast corner. They are in the cars with 3 dogs, still no issues! My chickens free range on Cape Cod in the summer and Florida in the winter. They have it made! The dogs just know they are not allowed to bother the chickens. Sometimes the little dog will chase them for fun , but thats about it. One chicken dropped dead one night at around 4 years old. I think it had a heart attack. it was in the coop, no injuries, died in her sleep by the looks of it. The other three seem pretty fit. They will come on to the porch and look for me, and they run after me looking for snacks.
The chickens will still lay inthe spring/summer/fall even thought they are old. i dont have a light on in the florida coop,: they are not fooled by the warm weather in the winter. its the long days that matter
Iv'e had chickens that did not free range, and these are much happer and appear much smarter.
Iv'e had trouble with rats under the Cape Cod coop. I learned to keep it clean. I dont leave the feeder around over night, and I and keep a rat trap box with poison around where the chickens cant get at the poison. .
Good luck with your chickens. They are pretty hardy. I'd worry more about predators than the cold.

I have wyandottes, a buff brahma and a dominique. I've only seen my dominique fluff up once in cold weather. The wyandottes are the first to do it. My dominique is one tough badass bird, lol!

I have heard brilliant things about Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Barnevelders, RIRs, Delawares and Wyandottes if you want a good egg-laying and friendly cold-hardy chicken.

how many chickens do you have that they were able to keep warm without a light? i live in south lake tahoe in mountains and it does get into teens and low 20's some nights. Did you get eggs all winter long without an inside light. I heard this might exhaust chickens by forcing laying. thank you

how many chickens do you have that they were able to keep warm without a light?  i live in south lake tahoe in mountains and it does get into teens and low 20's some nights. Did you get eggs all winter long without an inside light. I heard this might exhaust chickens by forcing laying. thank you

:welcome

My chickens have lots of space, and lots of ventilation. So, their area protects them from the wind, but the temperature inside the coop is very close to the outside temperature.

They have been fine down to -10F, as long as they only perched on 4 inch wide perches.

Laying in the winter.... Totally depends on the age and the breeds.

With no heat and no light, my first year leghorns laid almost every single day all winter long.

Back
Top Bottom