Cold out - 2 pullets sleeping on floor

2 Vents are at top triangle- I made Baffles due to the cold and wind.
Usually I leave the entry door open too. Tonight it got closed.
Also a ridge vent that isn’t very noticeable
I see! I was looking at your coop link, very cute! Creative ventilation too.
I don't blame you for closing the entry door, that would be a bit drafty for this time of year.

I’m super new to backyard chickens. It’s supposed to go down to 25 degrees tonight and I only have three chickens right now. Should I cover my vents t night?
Can you please post some photos of your coop?
Generally vents should not be covered up, chickens need plenty of ventilation year round, but in winter they do need be out of drafts.

I’m super new to backyard chickens. It’s supposed to go down to 25 degrees tonight and I only have three chickens right now. Should I cover my vents t night?
Someone shared that instead of covering vents they put baffles or louvers over opening so direct air is avoided but the vent still works.
Good luck! Welcome!

Thank you. we get alot of cold wind and rain, would it be good to cover the run with plastic during the winter months?
That is what I did. To give them extra play area out of wind. I made one removable like a curtain so on warmer days it is open.

although some don’t do that, my coop is smaller so my run needs to be good for overflow

I must of Made the run too good! I found 5 pullets roosting in the rafters of the run! About 7 feet off the ground!
Only 2 in the coop!

It was a warmer night!
I did remove them and put them in the coop. As the weather gets colder... I want them in the coop.

pretty soon I am just gonna let them do whatever!

Back
Top Bottom