Cold out - 2 pullets sleeping on floor

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
Hi!
My Pullets are 15 weeks old. They been roosting! I noticed 2 were sleeping on the floor and usually they roost.
It is getting cold tonight 5 degrees... normally it is in 30 s in November.

should I heat?
Also noticed one was missing a tie nail.

is the hens on the ground snuggling normal? should I be concerned about the toe nail?

thanks

How much space do you have and how many pullets do you have? Do you have other older chickens? (how many birds total)
Photos of your coop (inside) may be helpful too.

No, I would not add heat. Hard to know why they are suddenly snuggling on the floor instead of roosting - look at your coop set-up, where they would normally roost, is there direct air (draft) blowing on them? Not enough roosting space? Are they being picked on?
If the toenail is not actively bleeding and the coop has dry bedding, I would just keep watch. Most of the time a missing toenail heals just fine without doing anything.

Hi!
My Pullets are 15 weeks old. They been roosting! I noticed 2 were sleeping on the floor and usually they roost.
It is getting cold tonight 5 degrees... normally it is in 30 s in November.

should I heat?
Also noticed one was missing a tie nail.

is the hens on the ground snuggling normal? should I be concerned about the toe nail?

thanks
I'm in west central Wisconsin, so a very similar area to yours. Don't heat, as long as you have plenty of ventilation in your coop they will be fine. Also my birds sleep on the ground and I think they like sleeping on straw and shavings, it keeps them a little cozier I think. My birds have survived minus forty degree temperatures last winter without any heat. As long as they sleep together with fresh air and protection from drafts, they will be fine. And I don't think you have to worry about the toenail as long is she isn't bleeding.

I have an enclosed coop about 4.5 feet by 6.5 feet. Two roosts 4.5 feet long with 4 by 8 boards.

I did just add more hay or straw for bedding. It got very cold quickly.
Good to know about the heat.
I did install a light and heat lamp and ran electric Incase if it got cold I could heat.
Some say heat some say don’t.
Honestly I prefer not to heat. If I do it is for a short time while I am out there and then turn it off

7 pullets age 15 weeks.
Vents- yes!
View attachment 1957370
Hopefully that is enough ventilation.
You have 29.25sqft of coop space, so you may find that it gets cramped for 7 pullets as they mature -a lot depends on how well they get along.
The 2 that are sleeping on the floor may be finding it more comfortable or warmer - at that age chickens can be a bit funny. I would just keep watch on them - if they are eating/drinking well, active, etc. I think they should be fine.

T
Hopefully that is enough ventilation.
You have 29.25sqft of coop space, so you may find that it gets cramped for 7 pullets as they mature -a lot depends on how well they get along.
The 2 that are sleeping on the floor may be finding it more comfortable or warmer - at that age chickens can be a bit funny. I would just keep watch on them - if they are eating/drinking well, active, etc. I think they should be fine.
Thanks!
Previous owner had 10!
We let them free range and they have an enclosed run too. 8 by 12

2 Vents are at top triangle- I made Baffles due to the cold and wind.
Usually I leave the entry door open too. Tonight it got closed.
Also a ridge vent that isn’t very noticeable
I see! I was looking at your coop link, very cute! Creative ventilation too.
I don't blame you for closing the entry door, that would be a bit drafty for this time of year.

How much space do you have and how many pullets do you have? Do you have other older chickens? (how many birds total)
Photos of your coop (inside) may be helpful too.

No, I would not add heat. Hard to know why they are suddenly snuggling on the floor instead of roosting - look at your coop set-up, where they would normally roost, is there direct air (draft) blowing on them? Not enough roosting space? Are they being picked on?
If the toenail is not actively
36DC96B3-2BF8-4A21-A3C2-C054E1F47A97.jpeg
36DC96B3-2BF8-4A21-A3C2-C054E1F47A97.jpeg
bleeding and the coop has dry bedding, I would just keep watch. Most of the time a missing toenail heals just fine without doing anything.
I have an enclosed coop about 4.5 feet by 6.5 feet. Two roosts 4.5 feet long with 4 by 8 boards.

I did install a light and heat lamp and ran electric Incase if it got cold I could heat.
Honestly I prefer not to heat. If I do it is for a short time while I am out there and then turn it off

How many birds do you have in there and how much ventilation?

I’m super new to backyard chickens. It’s supposed to go down to 25 degrees tonight and I only have three chickens right now. Should I cover my vents t night?
Someone shared that instead of covering vents they put baffles or louvers over opening so direct air is avoided but the vent still works.
Good luck! Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom