Older hen emaciated and watery poop

Sberrie

Songster
May 3, 2019
Delaware
Hello all, I have a 5 yo golden laced Wyandotte in her most recent molt she lost a fair bit of weight, however it's now been over for about 2 months and it hasn't come back, only gotten worse. I've seen her eating and drinking like normal, her crop will be full at night.

Tonight I went out and she was laying on the floor rather than her normal shelf. I let her walk around a bit and she did 2 huge diarrheas. The first was totally clear minus white specks, the 2nd was dark green but just as watery.

I haven't noticed any other girls acting like this and it's fairly cold here (40s) so I wouldn't think she's overdrinking from heat.

I've read those symptoms could indicate kidney issues but otherwise am at a loss how to help her so any help would be appreciated

Have you checked for mites? What color is her comb? Are her eyes bright? Is she being listless and droopy? Are her tail feathers sagging? Does her crop fully empty by the morning? Was she laying eggs/did she stop during the molt and not continue?
You said there were white specks in clear poop. Do you have pictures? And have you ever dewormed your chickens?

Have you checked for mites? What color is her comb? Are her eyes bright? Is she being listless and droopy? Are her tail feathers sagging? Does her crop fully empty by the morning? Was she laying eggs/did she stop during the molt and not continue?
I have not seen any mites. Her comb is red but looks dry, ashy almost. Her eyes are pretty bright. Her tail changes between being pointed out to droopy.
On days I've been able to catch her to check it's empty in the morning.
Egg laying is tough to tell. I have several that lay the same colored egg however I had not seen her on the nest or exhibiting any laying behaviors (fighting over the nests with the others, clucking about in the coop) even before the molt

I have not seen any mites. Her comb is red but looks dry, ashy almost. Her eyes are pretty bright. Her tail changes between being pointed out to droopy.
On days I've been able to catch her to check it's empty in the morning.
Egg laying is tough to tell. I have several that lay the same colored egg however I had not seen her on the nest or exhibiting any laying behaviors (fighting over the nests with the others, clucking about in the coop) even before the molt
What about deworming?
I heard somewhere that if their vent is pink and moist it means they're laying, and if it's dry and darker in color they aren't, but I don't recall the source...
Can you post any pictures?

I was only able to get her some dewormer tonight as my local store hasn't had anything available.
I will post pics tomorrow when it will be more light

Hello all, I have a 5 yo golden laced Wyandotte in her most recent molt she lost a fair bit of weight, however it's now been over for about 2 months and it hasn't come back, only gotten worse. I've seen her eating and drinking like normal, her crop will be full at night.
Do you mean she's lost more weight? How much, have you weighed her?

Photos of her and her poop?

What are you feeding?

Deworming may be a good idea to see if that's the cause of weight loss if she's eating/drinking like normal.

You can find Safeguard liquid Goat dewormer at TSC. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Do you mean she's lost more weight? How much, have you weighed her?

Photos of her and her poop?

What are you feeding?

Deworming may be a good idea to see if that's the cause of weight loss if she's eating/drinking like normal.

You can find Safeguard liquid Goat dewormer at TSC. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
I have not weighed her on a scale, just from handling her. She's always been a dense heavy girl, not she's skin and bones.

Feeding nature's best organic layer pellets

I gave her ivermectin orally last night

Worming her is a start. It sounds like she has had a hard molt, and now her comb has that dry pale look they have when not in egg production. That can be normal in winter with short light days. I would give her a bit of chopped liver, tuna, and alternate with scrambled egg bits, but mainly her usual chicken feed made moist with a little water. Take her aside to make sure that she is getting plenty. A good chicken vitamin or human B complex tablet 1/4 tablet daily added to her food may help. Unfortunately, she is 5 and approaching older age. Cancer and reproductive disorders are very common. Hopefully, she will soon perk up and live many more years.

Ok went out and got pics right after work. I also fed her scrambled egg which she pecked at and feed moistened with electrolyte water, which she devoured. She also pecked at the remaining grass still around

Attachments

• 20231212_163103.jpg
    20231212_163103.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231212_163107.jpg
    20231212_163107.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231212_163642.jpg
    20231212_163642.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20231212_164917.jpg
    20231212_164917.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
I gave her ivermectin orally last night
Does she have mites?👆

She's still coming out of molt, this can make them not feel well. With her being an older hen, sometimes they can have troubles when it they come back into lay.

I'd encourage her to eat her normal feed, giving the egg or some canned fish as a treat is always good too. Vitamins as suggested previously and consider deworming her or get a fecal float to see if she needs to be dewormed.

Back
Top Bottom