Cold puppy won't eat HELP

He passed away on the way to the Vet's office :'( :'( :'( :'(

I'm really sorry about your pup. :( You did what you could, though, you tried. He probably wasn't going to live, no matter what. It's just nature, I think. It sucks though, and it's really sad. Go love up on those other little pups. There's nothing like the smell of puppy breath to make you feel better.... ;)

Yes, but important to realize and leerburg explains really well how to save and feed pups.

There's some good information there, for sure! I'm just leery of the tube feeding advice because that is something that, really, a skilled veterinary person should be doing as it could really cause real damage if you don't know what you are doing. Usually if a pup is that sick, it's not gonna survive unless it is admitted to an emergency vet hospital with lots of supportive care and that is going to cost a LOT of money, which most people can't or wouldn't shell out. But careful warming, oral fluids, glucose source, those are basic life-saving skills that are doable and a good place to start...

So sad to read but please read the article in case others need help. It tells uou how to warm them successfully and ways to save them and how to make formula i printed these to always have on hand heres the bottle feeding article http://leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm
Just skimmed it, looks like pretty good info for the most part. :) The raw egg part I would skip though--Salmonella concern, and a newborn pup has a weak immune system.

I read through the article and its very helpful, I book marked it for future refrence. I have been an overly watchful grandmama to the other pups since last night, getting them back into the vet this week to make sure they aren't sick or anything. Thank you all for the advice and help, I would have been more of a mess than I already was without it

Puppies like him need slow warming like put one in a pocket so it gets warmed slowly by your body heat . A cold puppy should not be fed, the digestive system is not working. But, they can absorb sugar water given by mouth. This can give them a boost.

I used to raise dogs and generally used tube feeding but, you don't tube feed a cold puppy either. Tube feeding does have it's risks. The more you tube feed, at least in my case, I got complacent because it was so easy to do. This led to errors and subsequent puppy deaths.

Puppies like him need slow warming like put one in a pocket so it gets warmed slowly by your body heat . A cold puppy should not be fed, the digestive system is not working. But, they can absorb sugar water given by mouth. This can give them a boost.

I used to raise dogs and generally used tube feeding but, you don't tube feed a cold puppy either. Tube feeding does have it's risks. The more you tube feed, at least in my case, I got complacent because it was so easy to do. This led to errors and subsequent puppy deaths.
What breed did you breed?

Back
Top Bottom