1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold Temps tonight....do chickens need heat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MyRedStarz, Jan 2, 2012.

1. MyRedStarz

MyRedStarz Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Hi all. Just a quick question about chickens and the outside temperature. Chickens are about 9 months old and tonight it's going to go down to the mid-30's. Do i need to put a heat lamp in the coop or will chickens be ok without. I live in Orlando, FL area so we normally don't have too many days that it gets to freezing or below but i wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.

Desiree

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No, they will be fine!

3. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    Mine would be happy with those temps [​IMG] Going down to 11 above or so here and in the low teens for a high tomorrow. Single digits tomorrow night. I woulnd't worry.

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

No Heat Needed..................................

5. 5littlechicks

5littlechicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Glad to hear this. We are in the Jacksonville FL area and are expecting temps in the 20's the next 3 nights. Dh put up a windblock on the side of the coop so we are hoping that will be enough.

June

6. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    nope.......no heat........just give them plenty of water and feed.....and keep them draft free and dry!!!

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Mid-30s is nothing to chickens. Many people keep them in places where it is below 0 for days at a time with no heat. Chickens are not a fragile tropical bird. They are wearing a down coat, after all!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    -29* here in Colorado...NO HEAT

9. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    As the others said, they don't need any added heat, and make sure you don't seal them up in the coop, to 'Keep them warm'. They still need plenty of fresh air/ventilation through the winter months.
    Jack

10. toofarout

toofarout Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    They do not need heat added. They will sit closer together on the roost and fluff up if they need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by