Cold weak chick

MelNZ

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2020
This morning I discovered one of our eggs that was due to hatch in the next day or two, broken, there was lots of blood and a still, cold chick. I was pretty sure it was dead but noticed the slightest of head movement, so I quickly placed in under a heat lamp. It warmed up and is moving and peeping but unable to stand I obviously would like to help it and return it to the mother hen - is this unlikely? Any advice? It is a little silkie chick.
C444D63F-CA58-4D64-B29E-16D053E1CB68.jpeg EF776420-9AF3-4B60-B513-486E9CF2DD96.jpeg 1E99323E-EBA6-4123-8133-2B47BB95D0B0.jpeg Thanks Mel

I’d say that’s entirely your call. If the chick is up and acting normal, I’d slip it back under the hen tonight and check it early in the morning to make sure everything is fine. The hen has the correct humidity and temperature underneath her for the chick. If it were a larger breed I’d advise against it because I have problems with them stomping weak chicks but small breeds like silkies should be okay.

Possibly it had pipped and then the egg got stepped on- I've had that happen. If baby is still alive, a little warm sugar water and poultridrench might give it enough of a boost to go from that to starting to eat and drink. Maybe consider what could have caused the disturbance that resulted in the egg breaking- can other hens get into her box- and eliminate the possibility for the rest of the hatch. Once those eggs pip their structural integrity goes way down. Seems like broody hatched eggs often pip around day 18.

Do you have an incubator? I wouldn't give it back to the hen until it's up on its feet more. She might accidentally crush it if it can't somewhat fend for itself. Good job saving it, hopefully it lives. Is the hen a first time mother?

I've heard the you can take a warm dryer sheet and wrap it around them to keep them warm too. Supposedly that makes it seem like they are under mamma too?
I like heating pads. If you put a small piece of hardware cloth underneath you can bend the back to be lower than the front. Then they can regulate their own temp. But the heating pad has to be on high, and no auto shut off.

I like heating pads. If you put a small piece of hardware cloth underneath you can bend the back to be lower than the front. Then they can regulate their own temp. But the heating pad has to be on high, and no auto shut off.

Depends on the heating pad set up - ours goes on medium which is plenty warm for the newly hatched. Hot would be too much on mine.

I've heard the you can take a warm dryer sheet and wrap it around them to keep them warm too. Supposedly that makes it seem like they are under mamma too?

I would worry about what's in a dryer sheet - a washcloth (warmed in the dryer) can help or even very good quality toilet paper like Charmin - think of it like a luxury bath robe/towel for a chick with tender new skin.

Depends on the heating pad set up - ours goes on medium which is plenty warm for the newly hatched. Hot would be too much on mine.
Yes, you're right. I guess I failed to mention that, sorry. I use a blue sunbeam one. I kept it on high all year. They slept under it at night, and spent a few hours under it during the day, but they feathered out so quickly and beautifully with it. It's much better than a lamp IMO. But I do keep them under a lamp for the first 2 days untio they're up and moving around more. They don't seem to be smart enough to figure out the pad until then.

Back
Top Bottom