Cold Weather chick being "to" still

Edgewood Chickens

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2017
I have a black sex link chick (10 weeks old) that had been doing great, until yesterday when we had our first drop in temperature. She stayed isolated from the others today, keeping her beak tucked in her feathers or she had her head drawn inward. She didn't move around much and I didn't see her drink or eat much either. She's letting me pick her up and not running from me. She's making some noises when being picked up, but will just sit in my arms without trying to get away. I have two heat lamps in my coup. One on my older hens and one on the chicks. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_8421chicken.jpg
    IMG_8421chicken.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 15
on a side note; your roosts seem a little small in diameter

its getting down to the high 30's here from prior 60's last week and I dont have any supplemental heat in the coop. What kind of temps are you talking? highs? lows? change? Have you tried some electrolytes?

we had a light frost last night, down from 80's the day before.....they don't like the "good" roost since my 2 year old hens claim it as their own. I have offered the electrolytes, should wouldn't take. I'll try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_8422chickcoo.jpg
    IMG_8422chickcoo.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8423chickcoo2.jpg
    IMG_8423chickcoo2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 10
that kinda sounds like us. the adults ( anything over 12 weeks) shouldn't need a heat lamp.

can you bring her into a dog crate away from the others until you stabilize her? maybe give her rooster booster via a syringe or dropper. try some scrambled eggs... how is her croup?

Have you checked this chick's crop? It may be impacted. If it's mostly empty except for a hard lump now, and still the same first thing in the morning before the chick eats, you then know there's a crop disorder.

I treat impacted crop with a teaspoon or two of coconut oil in it's solid form for ease and safety of administering. Massage gently until you feel the contents of the crop break up.

She stayed isolated from the others today, keeping her beak tucked in her feathers or she had her head drawn inward. She didn't move around much and I didn't see her drink or eat much either.
Hi @Edgewood Chickens :frow Welcome to BYC

A few other questions:

How long has she been in the coop (outside)?
What type of food/treats are you feeding - do your chicks have a source of grit available?

If she is not drinking or eating - I agree with @azygous It is a very good idea to check crop function - make sure it's emptying overnight.

Another concern would be Coccidiosis - how does her poop look? Symptoms include loose droppings with mucous or blood, lethargy, huddling with a fluffed up unkempt appearance, going off feed and loss of balance.

Try to get her drinking, fluids are very important.

Hi @Edgewood Chickens :frow Welcome to BYC

A few other questions:

How long has she been in the coop (outside)?
What type of food/treats are you feeding - do your chicks have a source of grit available?

If she is not drinking or eating - I agree with @azygous It is a very good idea to check crop function - make sure it's emptying overnight.

Another concern would be Coccidiosis - how does her poop look? Symptoms include loose droppings with mucous or blood, lethargy, huddling with a fluffed up unkempt appearance, going off feed and loss of balance.

Try to get her drinking, fluids are very important.
They have been out for four weeks tomorrow. I feed a high protein pellet and an organic scratch. The food I have has oyster shell in it. She is drinking, but instead of standing up in one place she is laying down.

I feed a high protein pellet and an organic scratch. The food I have has oyster shell in it.

I guess I should have clarified my question:)
What type of feed are you feeding - Chick Starter, Grower, Flock Raiser, Layer Feed?

Since you mention that your feed is in pellet form with oyster shell in it - can I assume that this is a Layer Feed? If so, then you will want to provide your chicks with either chick starter or a flock raiser type feed. At 10weeks, layer feed has too much calcium for growing chicks. Layer is formulated for actively laying birds.

I'm sorry she is not getting better - did you feel her crop?
What does her poop look like?
If you can bring her in where she can receive specialized care, that would be best. Keep her hydrated, see if she will eat some chick starter or chopped egg for you. It's hard to know what is ailing her - if her crop is empty, then I would be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis. You can find Corid at most feed stores.

I guess I should have clarified my question:)
What type of feed are you feeding - Chick Starter, Grower, Flock Raiser, Layer Feed?

Since you mention that your feed is in pellet form with oyster shell in it - can I assume that this is a Layer Feed? If so, then you will want to provide your chicks with either chick starter or a flock raiser type feed. At 10weeks, layer feed has too much calcium for growing chicks. Layer is formulated for actively laying birds.

I'm sorry she is not getting better - did you feel her crop?
What does her poop look like?
If you can bring her in where she can receive specialized care, that would be best. Keep her hydrated, see if she will eat some chick starter or chopped egg for you. It's hard to know what is ailing her - if her crop is empty, then I would be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis. You can find Corid at most feed stores.
She is up and around today. I syringed electrolytes three times yesterday. As of today at the bottom portion of her neck close to the breast area it feels full but soft. She has been drinking water on her own. But seems to feel better.

I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor her intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and her poops.

I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in.
If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom