cold weather coop construction

bmelanco

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Upstate NY
Hello

We are getting little ladies (20) next week so I only have a month or so to get our shed converted to a coop. I was hoping people could share thier thoughts/lessons learned. In other words if you could change something in your coop what would you change. And, we live in upstate NY and get up to 5' of standing snow so I am wondering if we should insulate the coop? We choose cold weather birds but I'm still wondering if it will be too cold?

1st
welcome-byc.gif
2nd use the search in the blue toolbar at the top of the page & your questions will be answered. your question was asked not too long ago & there was lots of great info in these threads!! sit back,hold on,& enjoy the ride!!!
caf.gif

Insulation is a very opinionated topic around here. Best advice is to use the search function, read all you can get your hands on and make your decision based on your own situation. I chose to insulate and do not regret it. It will, however, add cost to your coop.

Draft free and well ventilated is more important than your insulation. No matter what you decide, you'll still need to ventilate. Patandchickens has a great page and again, there is plenty you can find on the search function.

Other advice: Make electricity easily accessible. You'll probably need a heated water dish and possibly a heat source, so either make a safe "port" for an extension cord to enter your coop or wire it while you're finishing the construction.

I have a page on winter coop information - it's just my opinion, but it might give you some more food for thought: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=8650-winter-chickens.

And
welcome-byc.gif
from MN!

I don't have mine insulated or heated. Its a cinder block building.

There is electricty there. I would not want to be with out my heated dog dish. Its a life saver. I did have to clean it out every other day cause the birds scratched straw into it. But for $12-15 it is worth it.

One thing I did learn was 2x4 roosts. The first winter I didnt have them and one guinea had frost bitten toes. The 2x4 allows the birds to cover their feet.

There is alot of good information here on this topic.

Although I'm a newbie, I would add that 5 feet of snow provides quite a bit of insulation itself. It's probably far better than a coop exposed to the cold air with no snow around it.

Thanks for the help everybody. We are leaning towards insulating with some sort of reused material (old plastic bags, reused insulation). I have a habit of seeing how little I can spend on projects;)

last year i had some hens with frostbite toes and one with a slightly frostbit comb. this past fall we used some short sheets of insulation we picked up from friends (free) and insulated the ceiling over the roosting poles and the north and west side of the same area. it made a huge difference for the girls. on the really cold days (below 10 degrees), we hung a heat lamp at the other side of the coop, near the exit door. it was just enough warmth to have happy hens.

i'm glad we did it even if others say they don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom