Cold Weather Ducks

I reiterate. Ducks don't get cold like you do. Those temperatures aren't even cold. Don't worry about them.
-15 and the ducks were trying to swim in the water bucket
20200117_231725.jpg

The only changes i make is stopping drafts in the coop but not blocking ventilation

And i put hay down in their run so they have a place to stand and sleep without being directly on the snow or ground

If it's really cold and your pen is snow/ice you can add a layer of straw or pine shavings on top and it will help protect their feet some. Ducks are quite cold hardy and tend to fare well even in the temps your mention. The webbing between their feet is the most vulnerable part. You will often see ducks laying down when it's cold so they can tuck their feet up in their feathers for added warmth. I also like to fluff their bedding when it's cold so it can trap more air/warmth, it tends to get packed down in their house. I like to give them the choice, inside or outside and provide an additional wind break other than their house.

If i have the house heated can I just assume they will use it if they are cold enough ? Or will they just sit out in the cold like a dumb duck ?

They often stay out in the cold because it's not that cold to them. When the weather is really bad, mine do choose to go in their house together. They also hunker down behind their wind break. I just put a pallet or a piece of plywood up so it blocks the wind from the predominant direction.

Our duck house is an ice fishing shack so its insulated and not real big. I recently put the remote for a digital thermometer in their shack which they get locked in every night no food no water and we had -17 F a few days ago. Inside the the shack the ducks had 19 above with only their body heat
Wow thats alot of ,heat, Nice and cozy

Is there any ventilation in there?

Back
Top Bottom