Cold Weather Ducks

Yes but on nights that cold I cover the screened vent.

This may be the worst thing you can do. Ventilation prevents frostbite because it prevents condensation.

Ducks have down feathers. They make jackets and sleeping bags for mountain climbers out of duck down. Ducks are made for cold weather.

I understand the importance of ventilation but on nights colder than -10F I cover the vent. They always have clean dry pine chips and with our 5 ducks I haven't had any moisture problems doing this, of course the door isn't exactly airtight. We have -20F this morning so it will be 9 or 10 before I let them out, they will have a pool for a few hours which they love, pine chips on the snow to protect their feet. This is how I have done it for years with no issues. Oh, inside the duck house it is 18 above at the moment.

We still have -12 so it looks like one of those days the ducks don't get out and have a pool until lunchtime. I just ran down to feed the wood stove, slipped a gallon water jug in their door and uncovered the vent. We keep the house 75 in the winter and I do all this wearing cut off jeans and a t-shirt - the wife worries about me not the ducks hahaha

Back
Top Bottom