Cold weather!

Smiller1090

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
Fountain County Indiana
My quail are not doing so hot with our lows being in the 20s the last week. I’ve lost 3 in 4 days. The only thing I could put them in inside the house is a reptile terrarium. Has anyone ever used one?

That's young for both, but I would never put buttons out in low temps (they just aren't "built" for it). Is one species dying more than the other? Fully fledge Japanese quail should be fine in that setup—if they're the ones dropping, there's something else going on.

I’ve lost one button and two coturnix

Get a thermometer in there, make sure the flock is as warm as you think. It's possible the Coturnix could be under-feathered for the temperatures you mentioned at 3-4 months, but ruling out disease would also be prudent—do you still have one of the bodies you could send in for necropsy?

Get a thermometer in there, make sure the flock is as warm as you think. It's possible the Coturnix could be under-feathered for the temperatures you mentioned at 3-4 months, but ruling out disease would also be prudent—do you still have one of the bodies you could send in for necropsy?

Ok I will put a thermometer in there but in all reality I think I’m just going to move them inside to my basement tomorrow. My basement stays 50-60 degrees year around. I do not have the bodies but I do know that there is nobody around me to do a necropsy except if I did one myself. I lost a duck in the spring and called around then.

Ok I will put a thermometer in there but in all reality I think I’m just going to move them inside to my basement tomorrow. My basement stays 50-60 degrees year around. I do not have the bodies but I do know that there is nobody around me to do a necropsy except if I did one myself. I lost a duck in the spring and called around then.

Bummer you can't get a necropsy done. But I wish you luck moving them indoors (flighty, smelly little critters they are) and hope that puts an end to the deaths. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom