$%&# cold weather

I've been out walking in it, taken some pictures, and just love how it deadens sound - making an eerie silence.

I have to say that I am fifty one, and although I think I have had enough Michigan snow, that early morning silence is lovely.
Especially when there is little traffic.
Yes, I do love that part.

Beth​

Thanks to some rain and then temps dropping to 0, my girls are now frozen solid in their house (at least the people door still opens, so they won't starve!) Thanks to a cold and a broken toe--the two are actually related, but I won't tell that story right now--I can't see myself doing much about it at the moment, and temps aren't looking much better through next Wednesday. Sheesh!

So I guess that's one downside of using bolts and wingnuts to lock the pop door. Those suckers freeze SOLID when they freeze.

I deal with frozen doors every winter on my house and on my poultry sheds. I have ice breakers to break them free. Nice little tool to have, but you have to keep your toes away from the blade as it comes down..or you break toes.

What sort of temps where you dealing with? I ask because I have learned one person's idea of "cold" is a warm spell for others
celebrate.gif

I'm happy if I have SUNSHINE and above 30. Forties are even greater! This past "winter" has been pretty much fall weather accept for a couple weeks in Jan and now we're in the teens again this week. But can't complain, its the warmest winter we've had in a long time and the least snow in a long time.

Hope this past winter has been less stressful for you. Since the post indicates I'm replying to one that was posted in 2010

Quote:

I have to say that I am fifty one, and although I think I have had enough Michigan snow, that early morning silence is lovely.
Especially when there is little traffic.
Yes, I do love that part.

Beth

I agree with you Beth, I'm almost 50 (this year I turn 50) and I love the quiet. Here in South Dakota, we're not dealing with lots of snow this year. Most has melted off, that we got in January. Prior to that we barely had any to speak of. Quite different from our recent norms.

How do you cope with the Michigan winter temps for your birds? Is your building insulated? How do you keep their water from freezing? I'm assuming you have extreme cold temps in winter at night. Perhaps I am wrong. When I say "extreme" I'm referring to below zero by 20 or more degrees.

I'd like to learn how others cope with extreme cold in long term planning. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom