Cold weather

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
Now that it is getting cold, a little added corn will help keep the chicken
warm. Saturday and Sunday night the temp got down to the 20s. I turned the light on and Sunday on bought some corn. Besides I like to watch them go after something new.
By Wednesday it is suppose to be back in the 50s at night, no corn for them then. Knowing my hens, they will be watching the temp praying for a cold spell.

A lot of folks seem to not notice their birds come equipped with their own down jackets.

Except for those naked neck Turkens.

I read somewhere that a chicken puts out 1-2 BTU's of heat each.

Quote:
ADDING CORN WILL NOT INCREASE THEIR BODY TEMPERATURE!!!!!!!!!

Increased caloric intake is the only way to deal with low temperatures. Simply adding corn will only dilute the nutrients in the commercial feed you provide them.

If you are not worried about the efficiency or cost of production of your birds then add corn, but if you expect the birds to provide a profit then indiscriminately adding corn will only increase your cost of production by decreasing production efficiency.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:

Increased caloric intake is the only way to deal with low temperatures. Simply adding corn will only dilute the nutrients in the commercial feed you provide them.

If you are not worried about the efficiency or cost of production of your birds then add corn, but if you expect the birds to provide a profit then indiscriminately adding corn will only increase your cost of production by decreasing production efficiency.

Jim

That's funny b/c when I mentioned that I feed frozen corn in the Summer, I was told not to b/c it makes them too hot.

I'll have to see if I can find that link still with the links and details.​

Quote:
I'm thinking the same thing. Actually though I've read that turkens do well in cold weather. I'll never know for sure though; I'm not even getting close to one of those things.
lol.png

Quote:

Jim

That's funny b/c when I mentioned that I feed frozen corn in the Summer, I was told not to b/c it makes them too hot.

I'll have to see if I can find that link still with the links and details.

Whoever stated that corn would make them too hot was INCORRECT!!!!

If you want to increase heat from metabolism feed a high fiber or very high protein diet.

Jim

While at school in Stillwater Ok., I took a class in the vet dept. on poultry. Not sure if I remember correctly (to many gray hairs & a lot of brandy), but they said that corn was high in starch. Starch turns to sugar which raises the calories. Inturn, causes the body temp to rise.
This is where many people come up with feeding corn in cold weather raises the body temp. Myself, I just double up on the brandy. Yes, I do know this is incorrect, still makes one feel good for awhile.

MMMMMM,
To corn or not to Corn this is Da 100,000 dollar Question

Well for the last year or little more I alway added some crack corn to my layer feed for the chickens , seem to recall when my Dad and Grandfather had a farm many , many moons ago with all type of farm animals they alway added a small amount of corn to there feed during the warmer months but when the colder weather came in they add just a bit more ,I remember them telling me as a child it help them keep warm and added more fat cells , well it being
40 + years now since I was a young child growing up on a small farm with chickens, goats , pigs and cows plus a few horses and mules , I now feed my chickens and turkeys crack corn in there feed plus a few times a week I'll place some whole wheat into the mix and boy there sure do love it . I have read before about adding corn to the feed more in the winter to help them put on fat cells to keep them warmer ,not sure if it works , but seem to work for my dad and grandfather back in the day and so far it seems to work for me also last winter , but then again I feed all my left over meals - garden scraps or / and x-tras to my chickens too

Just my Opion and what I do --it works and it's not broke ----so I keep it the same for now , Born & raise -n- still from Da Old School
LOL MY 2 * WORTH

Al.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom