cold

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ga_goat, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    my waterers froze up for the first time last nite, when I turned the chickens out this morning thay all ran to the water as usual and started pecking on the ice .had to come in the house and heat up a kettle of water and pour some in all 8 waterers so they could get their morning drink. 22 here in extreme south Ga this am .with 50% humidity

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    brrrr, that is cold

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We're at 27 here in central Florida.

4. Oh yes [​IMG]
    Unusually cold here --- 11* when I got up. I'll be lugging out buckets of warm water when I open all the coops.
    It barely got above freezing yesterday here, so the water outside froze back up soon after I put it out.
    Stay warm!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hi, neighbor, it is 22 here with 63% humidity, DOWN from 23 an hour ago. Ice everywhere. The chickens went right after the water I brought them after their treat, as if it was another treat.

6. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    I've been lugging hot water for the past week up here in NE Georgia. Ugh. We're at a balmy 15deg right now. Yuk. This is Georgia...we're not supposed to get weather like this [​IMG] Though I'll take this over hot humid summer anyday [​IMG]

7. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Boy I wish it were that warm here...

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It was 19F here this morning..... I hate this time of year. Thawing waterers at 5:30 AM is not one of my fav poultry jobs by a long shot. We have found with the 5 gallon plastic type waterer if you close the bottom cap and drain the tray at night and in the morning you can fill the tray with hot water and unless it's froze solid the water will flow.

Steve

9. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Upstate SC - 12* this morning! Thank goodness the wind was not blowing! I can take the cold but that wind has been brutal! I thawed water bottles for the rabbits, poured warm water on ice for the chickens & carried my trusty 7 lb hammer to break through the ice for the horses & goats. The ice was 3 to 4 inches thick in the water troughs!
    Funny thing is... the dogs & horses LOVE this weather - they were running & "playing" & the muscovies were in the creek splashing! THANK GOD FOR HOT WATER - the hot shower is what gets me going! For all my frugal ways I don't think I could take COLD water on a morning like this!

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    When I saw the weather report last night I said to the DW "Well tomorrow the BYC forum is going to be full of Southerners complaining about the cold and worried about their chickens." Seems I'm better at forecasting than the local TV weatherman. Sorry about you chill but it was zero here this am and seems stuck on a high of 16 with 30 mph winds gusting to 45 and blowing snow. Guess it's time to dig out my heavy coat. My chickens, on the other hand, are just mad because when I toss the kitchen scraps on the ground by the coop they freeze before hitting the ground and have to be scratched up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by