Colder weather

chicks in Tampa

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Coldwer weather is here, in Florida it's warmer than up north but at what temperature should we take precautions to keep our chickens warm enough and WHAT should we do?

smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
It is unthinkable to someone who live near the Canadian border that someone in Tampa would be concerned. Unless the temperatures were to drop from 80 to 20 in under an hour, something possible in Nebraska or Kansas, but not so likely in Florida, I'd sure not be concerned.

Chickens are very hardy. They are covered with down and with layers of feathers. As long as they are dry, they'll be just fine. Our birds had 7F last night and didn't mind a bit. I suspect your "cold" would be the high 30's?? Low 40's???

Last edited:
We're in Brooksville, not far north of you. Last year we had temperatures in the teens. As long as your flock has somewhere to roost that is sheltered from wind and/or rain, you shouldn't have a problem. Chickens will huddle together and stay nice and toasty.

-29* here in Colorado at night...draft free coop, deep litter, curtain over open pop door....all fine.

NO added heat....remember, they are covered with a down coat...adding heat can only hurt them...
your temps are like a tropical paradise to my girls!

Wisconsin here... birds don't need heat. As long as they have a dry, draft free place to roost they are fine. I have free range birds that roost outside in trees all night. Some have made their way to the coop, others are so far sticking it out. I'm not going to mess with them, they are smart birds and know what they can handle.

I was worried about this my first year with chickens as well, I am a worry wart to begin with. I have power in my coop, and a few heat lamps. when the temp dropped, I plugged in 2 heat lamps out there, and the ladies didn't really use them, as everyone said here, they are insulated already
smile.png
So, I wouldn't worry about keeping them warm. they do that on their own.

Now, since I have power out there, I plug a small heat lamp over my waterer just to keep it from freezing. this is just for my personal laziness, and not to keep the birds warm.
I live in NC, and the temps dip into the teens sometimes, as long as you have a decent coop, there is nothing to worry about.

We are thinking about moving back to Colorado, I am not sure how they will do in negative temps... but as long as the coop is insulated well, I think they will be fine. I will however continue to put some type of heat over the waterer, frozen water really sucks to deal with first thing in the morning.

I have seramas I am worried about for when it gets in the 20's, which is coming Tuesday. I think my o shamo will be okay with their roosts removed and hay piled in. The regular chickens do just fine. I have open air pens and I put plastic on all but one side to cut the wind.

Back
Top Bottom