Coleslaw recipe recommendations??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Pupsnpullets, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Pretty much any coleslaw I've tasted (usually commercially made) has been bland and unappetizing. Can anyone share a nice recipe?

Thanks.

2. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
  3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Do a google search for Bob Evans cole slaw. It's great; has kale in it also, which gives it a pretty color accent and adds a little zing to the flavor. It's my DH's favorite.

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
  5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

This is an old recipe out of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Shred up a head of cabbage, green pepper, onion. S & P. Add 1 cup boiling water over all and let set one hour. Drain well. For dressing, take 2/3 cup vinegar, 2/3 cup oil (you can change it around if its a little tangy) one cup sugar, celery seed, mustard seed and onion salt. Mix well and pour over drained cabbage/veg. mixture. Chill before serving. You can add a little more of this and less of that, but using red and green peppers makes it very pretty and it keeps forever. I also shred carrots in mine.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    This is my grandmother's slaw recipe. Yum yum!

GRANDMA'S SLAW

1 head cabbage, shredded
    1/2 c. shredded carrot
    1/2 c. raisins (if you must)

dash celery salt
    1 tsp. prepared mustard
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 tbsp vinegar
    mayonnaise to make one cup of dressing

Combine cabbage, carrots and raisins. In separate bowl, mix next 5 ingredients. Add
    to cabbage mixture. Mix well. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Had a recipe of the KFC knockoff recipe for their cole slaw...it required buttermilk in the recipe! I've tried the regular and low fat and both are delicious!

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    once in a while i like a change from mayo type slaw so i make this... i mix oil and vinegar with a little sugar salt and pepper and pour it over slaw and craisins.. you can add a little onion if you like.. i like it a little sweet so i add more sugar to taste before you pour it on

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Something I add to mine to make it zingy is a dab of horse radish. Amazing how good it is. Make sure you add a little and adjust to taste.

I also let it sit in the frig for at least a day. Don't drench it with dressing because after it sits it will be too runny. Stir it a couple of times during frig time. Once the dressing soaks in you have perfect coleslaw.

10. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:Oh yes I must!!!

Thanks. I'll be trying this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by