Coleslaw recipe recommendations??

SallyF

Songster
11 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Do a google search for Bob Evans cole slaw. It's great; has kale in it also, which gives it a pretty color accent and adds a little zing to the flavor. It's my DH's favorite.

Whispering Winds

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Bond County, Illinois
This is an old recipe out of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Shred up a head of cabbage, green pepper, onion. S & P. Add 1 cup boiling water over all and let set one hour. Drain well. For dressing, take 2/3 cup vinegar, 2/3 cup oil (you can change it around if its a little tangy) one cup sugar, celery seed, mustard seed and onion salt. Mix well and pour over drained cabbage/veg. mixture. Chill before serving. You can add a little more of this and less of that, but using red and green peppers makes it very pretty and it keeps forever. I also shred carrots in mine.

Last edited:

DuckLady

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jan 11, 2007
NE Washington State
This is my grandmother's slaw recipe. Yum yum!

GRANDMA'S SLAW

1 head cabbage, shredded
1/2 c. shredded carrot
1/2 c. raisins (if you must)

dash celery salt
1 tsp. prepared mustard
2 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
mayonnaise to make one cup of dressing

Combine cabbage, carrots and raisins. In separate bowl, mix next 5 ingredients. Add
to cabbage mixture. Mix well. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Had a recipe of the KFC knockoff recipe for their cole slaw...it required buttermilk in the recipe! I've tried the regular and low fat and both are delicious!

wildorchid053

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
syracuse area, ny
once in a while i like a change from mayo type slaw so i make this... i mix oil and vinegar with a little sugar salt and pepper and pour it over slaw and craisins.. you can add a little onion if you like.. i like it a little sweet so i add more sugar to taste before you pour it on

wolftracks

Spam Hunter
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Modesto
Something I add to mine to make it zingy is a dab of horse radish. Amazing how good it is. Make sure you add a little and adjust to taste.

I also let it sit in the frig for at least a day. Don't drench it with dressing because after it sits it will be too runny. Stir it a couple of times during frig time. Once the dressing soaks in you have perfect coleslaw.

Top Bottom