Coleslaw recipe recommendations??

Do a google search for Bob Evans cole slaw. It's great; has kale in it also, which gives it a pretty color accent and adds a little zing to the flavor. It's my DH's favorite.

This is an old recipe out of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Shred up a head of cabbage, green pepper, onion. S & P. Add 1 cup boiling water over all and let set one hour. Drain well. For dressing, take 2/3 cup vinegar, 2/3 cup oil (you can change it around if its a little tangy) one cup sugar, celery seed, mustard seed and onion salt. Mix well and pour over drained cabbage/veg. mixture. Chill before serving. You can add a little more of this and less of that, but using red and green peppers makes it very pretty and it keeps forever. I also shred carrots in mine.

Last edited:
This is my grandmother's slaw recipe. Yum yum!

GRANDMA'S SLAW

1 head cabbage, shredded
1/2 c. shredded carrot
1/2 c. raisins (if you must)

dash celery salt
1 tsp. prepared mustard
2 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
mayonnaise to make one cup of dressing

Combine cabbage, carrots and raisins. In separate bowl, mix next 5 ingredients. Add
to cabbage mixture. Mix well. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

Had a recipe of the KFC knockoff recipe for their cole slaw...it required buttermilk in the recipe! I've tried the regular and low fat and both are delicious!

once in a while i like a change from mayo type slaw so i make this... i mix oil and vinegar with a little sugar salt and pepper and pour it over slaw and craisins.. you can add a little onion if you like.. i like it a little sweet so i add more sugar to taste before you pour it on

Something I add to mine to make it zingy is a dab of horse radish. Amazing how good it is. Make sure you add a little and adjust to taste.

I also let it sit in the frig for at least a day. Don't drench it with dressing because after it sits it will be too runny. Stir it a couple of times during frig time. Once the dressing soaks in you have perfect coleslaw.

Back
Top Bottom