Coleslaw recipe recommendations??

Okay.. this is a lazy cheater way..
But..i buy the bagged coleslaw... and cut up an onion (small) in it... and then mix in a good quality coleslaw dressing...(we like Maries..)
I also like to add a drained can of pineapple chunks/pieces to it for some sweetness..
its actually pretty good...
But the others on here sound much better!
droolin.gif

My simple slaw gets rave reviews at church.

Small head of cabbage shredded
Med. onion (also shredded, not chopped, this adds moisture and flavor)
3 large carrots shredded
3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sugar
dash of black pepper
dash of salt

I like it because it's easy
wink.png

Quote:
I didn't add a recipe for the dressing because I'm pretty much a dump and add person.

This recipe is close to what I make though.

No raisins and celery seed instead of salt.

I also add paprika and a little (not much) onion powder. OK a couple of other herbs too, but why get complicated.
Sometimes I also add finely chopped onion, but not always. To many people that don't like onion.
I also use brown or spicey or dijon musturd.
When I want it to look special I use red abd green cabbage.
I only use ACV and I do add a bit more sugar, but this recipe above is a great one to work from and experiment with.
terrielacy's grandmother must make some pretty good slaw.

I've always loved coleslaw, but I'm telling you, you don't have to like horse radish to like it add to this. I start out just dipping a knife into it until I've tried it a few times and have it to where I like it. People have asked me how I make it and until today I NEVER tell about the horse radish.

Last edited:
Thanks, she did make awesome slaw.

I do experiment a bit and rarely measure any of the ingredients, but as you say it is a great place to start.

It is great as is, but fun to experiment with.
smile.png

Quote:
This is an old tyme standby from New York Deli's. It's tangy and zingy and yummy. No mayo, so it's lo-cal.
This is off my web cookbook. Let me know if you use it and like it.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/salads/253-kosher-deli-health-salad

Thanks for the recipe. I took it to a potluck this evening and got good compliments
smile.png
I thought it tasted pretty good too. I didn't have celery and i added a little left over crushed pineapple instead of sugar, other than that I stuck to the recipe.

Quote:
This is an old tyme standby from New York Deli's. It's tangy and zingy and yummy. No mayo, so it's lo-cal.
This is off my web cookbook. Let me know if you use it and like it.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/salads/253-kosher-deli-health-salad

Thanks for the recipe. I took it to a potluck this evening and got good compliments
smile.png
I thought it tasted pretty good too. I didn't have celery and i added a little left over crushed pineapple instead of sugar, other than that I stuck to the recipe.

Yay! I'm so glad it worked out for you. That recipe is hard to mess up and it's been going strong for many many years. Plus, it's good for you. A win, win all around!!

1/2 large head of shredded cabbage
2 medium size shredded carrots
1/4 cup top of the fennel bulb (Or shred the bulb in 1/2 cup, I like it both ways)
3/4 cup mayo
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Back
Top Bottom