Collapsed egg hanging out of vent

Pics

rehsanipoor

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2018
Baltimore, MD
About three days ago we went to check our chickens. Our Easter Egger who is 7 months old had what looked like a long white tube hanging out of her vent. After some research we learned that it was a collapsed egg and subsequently saw egg coming out. Her vent looks normal now. I believe she is pooping, but will need to watch her more closely to be certain. She has been a great layer for the past few months with good hard shells laying almost every day. Since that day she has not laid again.

She is on layer feed w/ oyster shell. I've read that we should give her calcium supplements, but couldn't get her to eat it!

Should I be worried that she is not laying?

Thanks.

You need to get Calcium Citrate for humans with Vit. D. You'll need to hold her and use one hand to pull down gently on her wattles which will cause her to open her beak. Then with your other hand, pop the calcium into her beak and let her close her beak. She will swallow it right down. Do not worry that it is too large or that she will choke, believe me she can swallow a whole mouse or a frog with no problem. Good luck!

About three days ago we went to check our chickens. Our Easter Egger who is 7 months old had what looked like a long white tube hanging out of her vent. After some research we learned that it was a collapsed egg and subsequently saw egg coming out. Her vent looks normal now. I believe she is pooping, but will need to watch her more closely to be certain. She has been a great layer for the past few months with good hard shells laying almost every day. Since that day she has not laid again.

She is on layer feed w/ oyster shell. I've read that we should give her calcium supplements, but couldn't get her to eat it!

Should I be worried that she is not laying?

Thanks.
Is she acting normal?

I'd get extra Calcium into her, 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 is ideal, just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.

She did expel the membrane right?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

So today she is not acting like herself. Seems just less active. When they all came out this morning she stayed in the coop for a while (which has never happened). She's our absolute favorite and my kids adore her. I'm very worried.

I gave her the calcium citrate with vit. D.

I have electrolytes that I can add to her water.

I also have some left over amox. from a previous illness with a different chicken. Is it worth giving her to prevent/treat any infection that might be taking hold?

So today she is not acting like herself. Seems just less active. When they all came out this morning she stayed in the coop for a while (which has never happened). She's our absolute favorite and my kids adore her. I'm very worried.

I gave her the calcium citrate with vit. D.

I have electrolytes that I can add to her water.

I also have some left over amox. from a previous illness with a different chicken. Is it worth giving her to prevent/treat any infection that might be taking hold?

She doesn't seem to interested in eating/drinking. Should I force down a little water with electrolytes just to keep her hydrated?
I'd try holding a cup of the electrolytes or some sugar water up to her beak to see if she will drink on her own. If she's not drinking, then syringing fluids into her would be helpful.

It's good to get the Calcium into her, I'd do that for several days.
If she's acting off, it may be the need to expel another egg, but since she had a soft membrane and perhaps the contents spilled out (not clear on that), then I'd be inclined to give the Amoxicillin just in case infection is brewing.
Dosing for Amoxicillin is 57mg per pound of weight given orally 2X a day for 7-10days.

When a hen has expelled a stuck egg completely, she rebounds 100%, reverting to normal behavior. Since your hen is still behaving lethargically, it means she is still having issues, perhaps unexpelled material and possible infection beginning.

It's highly recommended to give both calcium and the antibiotic. If the hen is weak, give electrolytes with extra sugar.

Back
Top Bottom