Collecting eggs for hatching

dlgrose

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2020
I would like to collect eggs from my own hens for incubation. How long can I keep them until incubating and how do I store them until it's time? Thank you in advance!

Eggs usually stay fertile at the longest ten days, but some people have hatched eggs older than that. I leave mine at room temp which is around 65 degrees, I don't know if that's ok, but that's how I store mine. A good time period for fertility is 8 days.

Hi, I have been hatching chicks for last 2 years, so I will tell you everyting I know.😁
First things first, you will need to have rooster with your hens (1 rooster with around 10 hens) for your eggs to be fertile. Next thing is that you shouldn't let eggs be in extreme hot or cold temperatures. When you store eggs, you should put pointing side down, because air bubble need to be formed. Eggs should be 3-18 days old. Not less than 3 because air bubble didn't form, and not more than 18 because they are not good for hatching anymore. Temperature for storing should be anywhere between 18°C (65°F) and 28°C (82°F). That would be it.😄

Read this.

Texas A&M Incubation site

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...e-Cartwright-Incubating-and-hatching-eggs.pdf

It doesn't have to be this hard. I store eggs at room temperature in my house for a week and get good hatches. In summer that can be 78 F, in cooler weather 72 F. Not the 55 F they recommend. My humidity is pretty low too. You do need to turn them and either store them laying flat or with the pointy side down.

If you meet all their suggestions your eggs should be OK if stored two weeks at their ideal conditions. My conditions are not ideal so I only store them for a week.

Any questions or clarifications, please ask. And again, it's really not that hard.

Hi, I have been hatching chicks for last 2 years, so I will tell you everyting I know.😁
First things first, you will need to have rooster with your hens (1 rooster with around 10 hens) for your eggs to be fertile. Next thing is that you shouldn't let eggs be in extreme hot or cold temperatures. When you store eggs, you should put pointing side down, because air bubble need to be formed. Eggs should be 3-18 days old. Not less than 3 because air bubble didn't form, and not more than 18 because they are not good for hatching anymore. Temperature for storing should be anywhere between 18°C (65°F) and 28°C (82°F). That would be it.😄
Thank you for the info!

Read this.

Texas A&M Incubation site

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...e-Cartwright-Incubating-and-hatching-eggs.pdf

It doesn't have to be this hard. I store eggs at room temperature in my house for a week and get good hatches. In summer that can be 78 F, in cooler weather 72 F. Not the 55 F they recommend. My humidity is pretty low too. You do need to turn them and either store them laying flat or with the pointy side down.

If you meet all their suggestions your eggs should be OK if stored two weeks at their ideal conditions. My conditions are not ideal so I only store them for a week.

Any questions or clarifications, please ask. And again, it's really not that hard.
Thank you for the information!

Back
Top Bottom