collecting eggs in cold weather

stevin

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Dartmouth, Ma
what do most of you do? typically i leave for work before the sun even comes up and i'm usually back 10hrs later.
during the weekends i'm constantly walking over to the coop to collect eggs and they're usually still warm, great hand warmers for this time of the year...!!!
but during the week i'm collecting cold eggs, will these eggs still be good for hatching in a incubator as long as they are not frozen?

when collecting cold eggs is it better to bring the eggs up to room temp slowly like bringing them into the basement where it may be 55 degrees for a few hours and then bringing them upstairs where it's 70 degrees.
also, would the basement be too cold to keep an incubator?

the basement should be fine as long as you don't have a power outage that lets the bator cool - it obviously will cool faster & cooler in the basement than upstairs. But otherwise (as long as there are no big drafts) it will be the same temp inside the bator no matter where you put it.

I usually kept my incubators in the cellar. Humidity was always somewhat higher in the cellar, and the ambient temperature was more steady during the summer. (Can you tell I'm talking pre air conditioning?)
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom