Accidentally Ignored a broody

Ilikechickensalittlebit

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
Usually when I'm taking care of my chickens, we collect eggs every-every other day. My dad sometimes does it but it is usually me. Also, if there is a hen in the box I usually dont collect from under them because i feel bad disturbing them while they are laying. We had a particularly busy week and I kind of didn't connect the dots on the same hen being in the box every time I went out to collect, and her being our most frequent broody(I'm slow). Long story short I candled an egg and there is most definitely life. I would guess 6-8 days? I can only use my phone flashlight and the eggs are all brown so its difficult to see. I'm not sure what to do with her. I want to let her hatch the eggs now, but I don't think I should keep her incubating them in the community nesting boxes. Where should I put her? How should I make sure she eats and drinks enough? I definitely have the space to support 6 more chickens but I'm not quite sure my parents would love that. I would appreciate any advice on this situation and ty if u read this far!:)

If she hasn't had problems brooding so far I would leave her where she is. Maybe mark the eggs just in case. Use the remaining time to figure out what you'll do once they are born and how to break it to your folks 😅
They're aware and not very pleased but they're also busy and kinda letting me handle it as of now😂 But thank you for the advice! I know I have an egg eater which usually isn't an issue because they only eat broken eggs. However the eggs in the clutch all have yolk on them so I'm guessing there was a broken one at some point and I don't want them to get eaten. Overall tho she's doing great!

Back
Top Bottom