Collecting Heirloom Seeds

It's not quite seeds, but we are attempting to sprout slips on sweet potatoes I got at the store, We'll see how it goes. I just put them in water today. I purchased three of them. I cut each one in half and suspended it in a solo cup with the use of push pins to hold it at the rim. The cut side is down and about half of each piece is under water. We'll see how it goes. Our house is heated to just 71F, so it may be a bit cool on the counter. I'll give them a week or two and then I may decide to try another method if there's signs of rot. The next method is a foil pan of soil and planting the sweet potatoes half way.

How are everyone's seed germination efforts going this year? I've been working with some seeds I saved nearly a decade ago, it's been a real journey! Looks like I have burgundy okra, Thai eggplant, and purple pole beans from seeds I saved that are working out for me.

It's not quite seeds, but we are attempting to sprout slips on sweet potatoes I got at the store, We'll see how it goes. I just put them in water today. I purchased three of them. I cut each one in half and suspended it in a solo cup with the use of push pins to hold it at the rim. The cut side is down and about half of each piece is under water. We'll see how it goes. Our house is heated to just 71F, so it may be a bit cool on the counter. I'll give them a week or two and then I may decide to try another method if there's signs of rot. The next method is a foil pan of soil and planting the sweet potatoes half way.
Did you get any slips? I've tried twice with organic grocery store sweet potatoes and have gotten nothing so far...

For the avid seed collector, how do you manage when you have multiple varieties? I am growing at least 5 winter squash varieties and one of those is a Lakota india heirloom seed. I paid like $4 for five seeds!! I would really like to save some seeds from that plant.

Did you get any slips? I've tried twice with organic grocery store sweet potatoes and have gotten nothing so far...

For the avid seed collector, how do you manage when you have multiple varieties? I am growing at least 5 winter squash varieties and one of those is a Lakota india heirloom seed. I paid like $4 for five seeds!! I would really like to save some seeds from that plant.

If you want to be absolutely sure there is no cross pollination with Lakota and your other squash varieties, you must bag the flowers and hand pollinate.

I've never done that because that is a lot of work!! What I do, is spread the varieties out over my property so hopefully the bees will visit flowers and other plants before visiting the various squashes! It has worked very well in the past for me.

However, one year I planted many winter squash varieties right next to each other and that year I had a lot of hybrid weird-looking squash.

Yeah, the bagging is what I was worried about. For that one particular plant, I may try. But I have four tomato varieties, and 6 pepper varieties, not to mention all the other squash, both winter and summer. We have honey bees so things are pretty well pollinated lol. I would just assume anything would be cross pollinated on my land.

I have LOTS of slips. There's about thre dozen in a glass of water at the moment sprouting roots very well. The sweet potatoes that are still partially submerged in cups of water and growing more slips.
Our weather is crazy right now, so it will be a week or two before I plant slips into the ground.

I have LOTS of slips. There's about thre dozen in a glass of water at the moment sprouting roots very well. The sweet potatoes that are still partially submerged in cups of water and growing more slips.
Our weather is crazy right now, so it will be a week or two before I plant slips into the ground.
I've tried with two grocery store sweet potatoes, one was organic, and so far have gotten nothing. I'm so sad. How long did it take for your potatoes to sprout slips?

Hand pollinate and then bag the flowers you pollinated. And pray.....

Hahaha and pray. I feel very confident now! Being a gardener is tough sometimes.
The curcubits are really difficult to save seed from. If I had acres of garden space I'd save seed and grow them out the next year just to see what I get! I don't really have any more worthwhile comments on saving seed from squash, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom