Collonca - Still around?

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
So I have a sort of odd question, but I have looked around and I can't seem to find any information on the Collonca chicken breed aside from that they were used to make the Araucana breed. Do they still exist? Where would one find them? I'm sure they're quite the rare breed if they do still exist.

I do believe there are still people working on them but I do not know names. I wasn't as much interested about the breeders as the breed when I saw it.

There was someone on here that said they were breeding them to something else, but it was a long time ago and it was the first I'd heard of them. Can't find ANYTHING on them anywhere online.

I'd say your best bet is to go to South America
hide.gif

Many of us have Araucanas, pretty close to Colloncas, but otherwise I've seen oh so few if no breeders of the original. Seen someone with Quechuas though.

I know this is an older post but i wanted to clarify - a Collonca is basically just an araucana with no tuffs or tail?
That would make them alot easier to find wouldnt it?
Sounds like the breed standard araucana rejects could be called colloncas....they just have to breed true.

Quote:
Not correct. Colloncas are the origin of Araucanas, not just an Araucana that can't show. Colloncas have not been bred for generations to fit a certain standard, in fact they're a little more on the "wild" side like the other South American village type chickens and gamefowl. It's like comparing Quechua to Ameraucanas.

I saw someone on the Araucana thread several months ago with a couple Colloncas, but, they didn't breed them or mention their origin/source.

Also remember - Only about 50%, if not more than 50% of Araucanas DON'T have tufts.
wink.png
Tufts breed like Frizzling in that it only carries through 50% of the time, in fact breeding tufted x tufted gives 25% mortality, just as frizzled x frizzled gives 25% "frazzle," a very unwanted trait.

I know this is an old thread, but I managed to get my hands on 30 hatching eggs for these and am just curious if there will be much of a market for the hatching eggs?

Back
Top Bottom