Colombian blacktail ? Confusion ?

I am sorry, I just edited what I wrote. There was another thread about Columbian Blacktails this morning and I thought you were the same person. My bad, I definitely should have checked names, I just don't often see that breed so I assumed ☹

I just got confused as to which of the two threads it was too.
Unusual to see two of the same one in the same day. Especially since I didn't even know the breed existed yesterday.

The middle is the pullet from the same stock. However in my opinion she doesn’t look like a columbian blacktail either she looks almost like a pure breed Rhode Island Red. On the left hand side for comparison is my buff Orpington pullet from my own stock. Very confused with what I have been sent.
Buff Orpington and RIR. Pullets.

This is my first time with sex links - I bought six Columbian blacktail (white Sussex x Rhode Island Red) eggs from a farm that I have used many times. I ended up having two pulleys out of that that I sexed at hatch.

If the father was Rhode Island Red and the mother was the Sussex, then you should only get red pullets and white cockerels. But you seem to have a red cockerel, so something isn't right.

If someone raised sexlink pullets (red) and sexlink cockerels (white) and crossed them to each other, you would get both genders in both colors. Crossing sexlinks does NOT make more sexlinks. I'm guessing that's what happened in your case.

If the father was Rhode Island Red and the mother was the Sussex, then you should only get red pullets and white cockerels. But you seem to have a red cockerel, so something isn't right.

If someone raised sexlink pullets (red) and sexlink cockerels (white) and crossed them to each other, you would get both genders in both colors. Crossing sexlinks does NOT make more sexlinks. I'm guessing that's what happened in your case.
I have to agree

Back
Top Bottom