Color breeding question on a silkie!!!

briarpatchfarms

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Grayson, Ky
I have a clear buff hen and is currently breeding to a blue split lavender gene (come out of two black split lavenders) I am wondering will I get buff from a blue and buff crossing?

Quote:
You cannot know whether the bird is split or does not carry the gene from the breeding you describe. Only the offspring that inherited two copies can be ascertained. Of the others, each has two chances out of three to have inherited it, but there is no way to tell.

Blue X buff will give you blues, buffs and mixed colours.

Quote:
That's what me and my friend can't figure out we thought the lavender might have deluted the down because he is about the darkest blue you can get

so he could be black with deluted color but she didn't know that a blue could be so dark it can look black till I told her the only way to tel is to look at the down between the leg on the belly and she found all the offspring was blue she thought mine was black and her hen was black too

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean Briarpatch, but blues can indeed be as dark as blacks. They are too heavily laced, and/or have too many melanizers.

It could also be a lavender (not split) with a lot of melanizers, I think. Hopefully Henk or Tim will chime in on this. Can you post a photo of the "blue"?

Im Confused As Well! I Have Silkies But I Dont Know What Colors To Breed With And Witch Ones Cant Breed Together And What Their Colors Make.. I Have Been Looking On The Internet For 4 Hours Trying To Find Info On This And I Cant Find It!

If You Could Please Email Me At [email protected] And Give Me This Info Id Appericate It Sooo Much!

Also If Anyone Sells Silkies Or Polish And Will Mail Them Please Email Me As Well

Thank You,
Tori

Im New To The Chicken World!! My Daughter Said Mom Can We Raise Chickens And Here We Are With Chickens..so Awesome But So Confused At The Same Time
sad.png

Hi Tori! There's lots on here about approved color combinations. Just use the search bar at the top. In general, breed like to like. White/white, buff/buff, etc. The biggest exception is blue, black, and splash. You get different combinations from that grouping, but it should be consistant. But like Tyler's conundrum, flukes pop up. I just hatched what I think is a partridge or blue partridge from two blacks!

Back
Top Bottom