Color changes in face

obessedchick

Hatching
Jan 30, 2017
My australorp hen is my first egg layer this season! I got home and noticed she had just laid her egg. It was still very warm. I picked her up to say thanks for the egg and her face turned pale white as her comb and wattle started to turn lighter too. I put her down to see what was wrong and she immediately turned back to her normal deep red. Picked her up again and her face drained for a second time. She was very calm like normal. She usually snuggles her head in my arm and such but never seen this. What does this mean?!?!

The color on the face can reflect feelings or blood supply. It's possible your hen was stressed out by the pick up and hug, it is the same that a predator would do.

I've noticed the same in mine - even when I don't touch them, sometimes after laying an egg they are paler than usual. The color returns within a couple minutes.

Welcome to BYC @obessedchick !

Have seen this too.....but not connected to any certain circumstances.
Drive ya nuts with pullets close to point of lay red as heck one minute then paled back out..smh.
Change of circulation/blood pressure maybe?

Yes, I've noticed this, also. I think it's a result of both circulation and excitement over being handled. It can be a little off-putting, but as long as the color comes back to the tissues right away, I don't believe there's any cause for alarm.

Back
Top Bottom