1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color chart??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by equusvilla, Dec 30, 2010.

1. equusvilla

equusvilla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    South Texas
    Is there a chart with pictures of, labels and descriptions of the different colorings for each type of chicken??

IE - coloring of a light Sussex looks a whole lot like the Columbian Rock.... which can drive a newby (like me) NUTS![​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Both Light Sussex and Columbian Rocks are the same color, Silver Columbian.

Here is a thread that someone started and I have several color explainations there and if you have any more you would like to know of, please post them on that thread . https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=420683

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't know a chart, but I'll help a newbie like you out:

Light Sussex and Columbian rocks are the same color - Columbian. However, the difference in these two are that Sussex have white/pink legs, Rocks have yellow legs.

The real thing I find people get confused with are Delawares vs Columbian Rocks. Both have yellow legs, both look the same, but Delawares are barred Columbian, making the black tips barred/speckled, not straight black. [​IMG]

A lot of breeds have different names for the same color, such as "Dark Brahma" vs "Silver Pencilled Rock" - Same color, but since Brahmas in the US don't have a "gold" counter part ( Gold Partridge/Pencilled ) they just go by "dark" "light" and "buff" while Rocks have gold partridge, silver partridge (silver pencilled) and even columbian, which in Brahmas is called "light" [​IMG]

4. equusvilla

equusvilla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    South Texas
    "The real thing I find people get confused with are Delawares vs Columbian Rocks. Both have yellow legs, both look the same, but Delawares are barred Columbian, making the black tips barred/speckled, not straight black...."

Oh good grief.. I am never going to get it all straightened out and believe it or not - I am fairly well educated and intelligent.. but the above paragraph could have been written in Chinese! ha ha

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Light Sussex - pink legs

[​IMG]

Columbian Rock - yellow legs

[​IMG]

Delaware - yellow legs, speckled tail and neck

[​IMG]

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Those are great pics for comparison. Those should be saved somewhere for others who have trouble with it.

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:That "Dark" Color is another thing that can confuse newbies because Dark Brahmas are Single Laced Silver Partridge like you said, and Dark Cornish are Double laced Golden Partridge.

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:That "Dark" Color is another thing that can confuse newbies because Dark Brahmas are Single Laced Silver Partridge like you said, and Dark Cornish are Double laced Golden Partridge.

Yeah, that always confuses me as the Cornish and Brahmas are both called dark but yet their coloring is not the same. Thanks for that note on this. I'll try to remember it.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You really need the APA Standard of Perfection or the ABA Bantam Standard. They DEFINE the standards for each variety of each breed.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I hope you don't mind me piggy backing.

Light Brahma - Pea Comb, Feathered legs with Yellow Shanks and Feet.
    [​IMG]

Columbian Wyandotte - Rose Comb and Yellow Shanks and Feet
    [​IMG]

Columbian/ Light neck feather rooster
    [​IMG]

Columbian/ Light neck feather hen
    [​IMG]

(Pictures are not mine and was found on the net)

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by