color crossing question

I guess that I am looking to try getting a khaki laced. I know it will take a few generations to get it right, but I guess I am just trying to find out if with these two varieties if I can achieve it?

Assuming that the girls are khaki, bred to the black, all chicks should be chocolate. Breed chocolate to khaki and half will be khaki; breed to each other and 25% will be khaki. Now all that is in addition to breeding in lacing.

Suze,
Thank you for your help!
So, does chocolate work the same as the Blue gene, with Khaki being equivalent to Splash, the Dark Blue = to Black and Chocolate = to Blue?

Suze,
Thank you for your help!
So, does chocolate work the same as the Blue gene, with Khaki being equivalent to Splash, the Dark Blue = to Black and Chocolate = to Blue?

When talking colour, using "chocolate" is fine, but when talking genes, it is probably best to refer to the gene as dun so as not to confuse it with choc.

Dun does indeed work like blue, with khaki (I^D/I^D) being the splash equivalent and chocolate (I^D/i+) (colouring) being the equivalent of blue.

choc on the other hand is a recessive sex-linked gene, and has no equivalent to khaki. Males need two copies for chocolate colouring to express; females only one. choc females pass the gene to all their sons, but none of their daughters. choc males pass the gene to all their offspring. All daughters of a choc male will be choc

I never thought of trying to make Chocolate Laced anything. I know Chocolate itself is a difficult color to achieve correctly. I was thinking about trying to get a Dun(Khaki) Lacing.

THank you ALL for you help in this. I think I have found a project worth my time in trying.

I will post progress on her and possibly other sites. Any recommendations on other good forums?

I never thought of trying to make Chocolate Laced anything. I know Chocolate itself is a difficult color to achieve correctly. I was thinking about trying to get a Dun(Khaki) Lacing.

THank you ALL for you help in this. I think I have found a project worth my time in trying.

I will post progress on her and possibly other sites. Any recommendations on other good forums?

Classroom at the Coop (www.the-coop.org)

I guess that I am looking to try getting a khaki laced. I know it will take a few generations to get it right, but I guess I am just trying to find out if with these two varieties if I can achieve it?

Take your Silver Laced male over the khaki females, take the dun laced pullets from that and place back under your Silver laced male. Take teh offspring from that and breed to each other then go back to silver laced again for better lacing quality, then just breed them. Always select for teh dun / khaki and when you start breeding offspring to offspring you will get you khaki.

Back
Top Bottom