Color expert's what shade of mallard is my Rouen cross?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
**Edited to make post a little clearer**

I have a Rouen cross and I'm curious about what her shade of mallard would considered as where the typical black/dark brown markings on a Rouens face are hers are a light grey, her brown/dusky areas are a very vibrant light tan and then has black feathering on her body. Her head is what is mainly confusing me since it's greyish, but her body feathers are black. I also have all different shades of mallard from the standard mallard to dusky mallard, nutmeg mallard and her head is definitely grey compared to theirs. I also attached a picture of her next to a picture of her mother who has the usual darker Rouen standard mallard color. The lighting outside is kind of funky here with it being both cloudy and sunny making her head in the pictures almost a shade darker than in person. The two standing side by side there is a drastic difference in shades.

PXL_20210710_182456704~4.jpg

1625944956012~2.png

Last edited:
I have a Rouen cross and I'm curious about what her color is considered as where the typical black/dark brown markings on a Rouens face are hers are a light grey, her brown/dusky areas are a very vibrant light tan and then has black feathering on her body. Her head is what is mainly confusing me since it's greyish, but her body feathers are black. I also have all different shades of mallard from the standard mallard color to dusky mallard, nutmeg mallard and her head is definitely grey compared to theirs. I also attached a picture of her standing next to my other Rouen cross that has the usual darker Rouen coloring. The lighting outside is kind of funky here with it being both cloudy and sunny making her head in the pictures almost a shade darker than in person.

View attachment 2754477
View attachment 2754478
I’d say your female is just Mallard coloured as there is quite a bit of individual variety with the colour and markings. Or she may be trout.

You’re other Rouen is a young Drake.

I’d say your female is just Mallard coloured as there is quite a bit of individual variety with the colour and markings.
I am aware that he is a drake I just have never seen a Rouen her color and neither has the local breeder I asked. Even her mother was much much darker like the drake pictured. There are different variations within the mallard color and different labels for the different shades like dusky mallard, nutmeg mallard, blue mallard etc. I am just curious if she would fall into a different category other than the standard mallard color.

I am aware that he is a drake I just have never seen a Rouen her color and neither has the local breeder I asked. Even her mother was much much darker like the drake pictured. There are different variations within the mallard color and different labels for the different shades like dusky mallard, nutmeg mallard, blue mallard etc. I am just curious if she would fall into a different category other than the standard mallard color.
I mean just with the Mallard variety without any added dilutions or different phases. I’ve had Mallards that are very light, to earth brown. Your duck may possibly be trout, as that makes them lighter.

I mean just with the Mallard variety without any added dilutions or different phases. I’ve had Mallards that are very light, to earth brown. Your duck may possibly be trout, as that makes them lighter.
I should have phrased my original post better because I'm pretty sure we are on the same track lol but yes I agree she is of the mallard variation I am just trying to figure out which variation/dilution of mallard I guess is the best way to put it. Here is a picture of her mom which is what I think of for standard mallard color and when at poultry shows or talking with local breeders I and others haven't seen my above hens shade of mallard. I'm just curious if there is a name for her shade of mallard color since she is definitely a different shade than her mother. We have had many guests over since she has hatched all pointing her out asking what color she is and I just keep responding "um some shade of mallard?"😂 since I am just learning duck color genetics I figured I would ask people who have a better grasp on it than I do.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_145040~2.jpg
    IMG_20201004_145040~2.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 11
I should have phrased my original post better because I'm pretty sure we are on the same track lol but yes I agree she is of the mallard variation I am just trying to figure out which variation/dilution of mallard I guess is the best way to put it. Here is a picture of her mom which is what I think of for standard mallard color and when at poultry shows or talking with local breeders I and others haven't seen my above hens shade of mallard. I'm just curious if there is a name for her shade of mallard color since she is definitely a different shade than her mother. We have had many guests over since she has hatched all pointing her out asking what color she is and I just keep responding "um some shade of mallard?"😂 since I am just learning duck color genetics I figured I would ask people who have a better grasp on it than I do.
Perhaps trout? Or something light phase.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom