Color genetic questions on three birds

annabellaknits

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
The first is whether this pulley is blue laced or black? When I use the chicken calculator there are no result of black with lacing but she's so dark I can't tell could she be that dark but blue? Blue laces red Roo over black austrolope hen

The second is a blue laces red but I got her from a women who didn't really seem to know what she was doing and the parents colors were similar to this pullets. My question on her is if she is red or gold? And what could I breed her with that we're give her more defined lacing? And do you think she's blue or splash?

Last is my backyard mix big boy. Do you guys think he carries the lacing gene or just Columbia gene? I wonder because of his chest and saddle feathers? He a second gen backyard mix, first Americana hen x Orpington Roo, second first gen from previous mix too x black austrolope.

Last edited:
Oh wait I just read that Colombian will not show on an extended black bird. So then the Roo couldn't have that patterning in his chest from the Colombian gene? I believe he is extended black because of the green that shows like a beetle on his black tail feathers. So maybe barring?

The first pullet looks black to me, but she's standing in shadows in most of the photos which makes it a bit hard to be certain. It's possible she's a dark blue. Black feathers usually have a blue or green sheen to them in the sun. If she doesn't have that, she's probably dark blue.

Your Blrw is splash and definitely more on the gold side than red. You might improve the lacing in her offspring by breeding her to a rooster with nice lacing. If you are interested in breeding blrw, you would be better off finding different breeding stock. If you really want to use this hen, pair her with a nice blue or black laced rooster with good mahogany red.

I actually have a rooster that looks similar to yours. Mine is a mixed breed too, an EE/ marans cross. There are several different genes involved in producing lacing. It's possible that your rooster carries a copy of a couple of those genes but I wouldn't count on it. He will probably produce chicks with incomplete lacing at best.

The rooster does not have the lacing gene or columbian gene. The columbian gene is a pattern inhibitor gene. It prevents all patterning from showing on the chest, only allowing the base (either gold or silver) color to show. Your rooster has what looks like speckling on the chest. Lacing is when the 'pattern' color is edging the feather.

A crossbreed of two different varieties, in most cases, does not come out as a pure variety. So, I would say your hen just a mix--not Black laced, because such a thing does not exist.

Last edited:
Here's my similar looking rooster. He's a cross between a silver duckwing EE rooster and a black copper marans hen. He has the same sort of silver pattern on his chest. In his case, its just some random silver leakage and not the result of pattern genes.

I am not asking about the breed I know they are barnyard mixes I'm just trying to figure out their cold genes. So I wanted to know if a black bird could show lacing?

Here's my similar looking rooster. He's a cross between a silver duckwing EE rooster and a black copper marans hen. He has the same sort of silver pattern on his chest. In his case, its just some random silver leakage and not the result of pattern genes.

But could your EE be carrying a pattern gene?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom