Color genetics thread.

Pics
does that mean i could end up with white in my chicks? i know columbians are white with black neck streaks.
No I am writing about the columbian gene not the columbian plumage pattern. Both of the birds you posted carry the sex linked gold allele- columbian plumage pattern birds carry the silver allele therefore they are white/silver. Black tailed reds like your male carry the columbian gene, the mahogany gene and the sex linked gold allele- that gives the male his red color. The female is columbian also but I believe she only carries one columbian gene and not two columbian genes like the male. She also carries a pattern gene- that is why she has single laced feathers on some areas of her body.

So I saw a Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington on craigslist, am thinking of getting him
big_smile.png

This is him, looks good to me (but I've never seen a Choc Cuckoo Orp before)

00w0w_aI1LhUDXdBZ_600x450.jpg

question
Im trying to look into recreating a a few Empordanesa Varieties. more like long term projects
@gjensen I think we spoke of this before but can not find my notes.

Variety Rossa ( Blue tail buff and Black Tail Buff Empordanesa)

Blanca Rossa ( Blonde Empordanesa )

so far the only Empordanesa we have here is the White Empordanesa which is recessive white

what I'm trying to figure out is a starting point for any of these.
would Black Tail buff Maran work into the breeding? or am i going to just get black birds?

the pattern of the Maran is close to the black tail buff Empordanesa ?
or would I want to use Catalan de Prat?
or any ideas?

I have now Male White Empordanesa to work with along with
Partridge Penedesenca hens I could use as well if need be

this will be a fun side project with the main hope of using the extra white empordanesa roosters I have

Would this color be considered Spangled? BTW, very interesting thread!
No that is not spangled. Spangled look like hamburgs in which it's basically a solid base color with spots on the end of the feather; silver spangled look like Dalmatian chickens to me. Your chicken almost looks like a young salmon faverolle Pullet starting to develop adult plumage

question
Im trying to look into recreating a a few Empordanesa Varieties. more like long term projects
@gjensen I think we spoke of this before but can not find my notes.

Variety Rossa ( Blue tail buff and Black Tail Buff Empordanesa)

Blanca Rossa ( Blonde Empordanesa )

so far the only Empordanesa we have here is the White Empordanesa which is recessive white

what I'm trying to figure out is a starting point for any of these.
would Black Tail buff Maran work into the breeding? or am i going to just get black birds?

the pattern of the Maran is close to the black tail buff Empordanesa ?
or would I want to use Catalan de Prat?
or any ideas?

I have now Male White Empordanesa to work with along with
Partridge Penedesenca hens I could use as well if need be

this will be a fun side project with the main hope of using the extra white empordanesa roosters I have
One potential problem I see with your breed choices to bring in the color is the skin color. Empordanesa is a yellow skin breed. The breeds that you are considering are white skinned. White skin is dominant over yellow. The Marans have the columbian pattern inhibitor (black collar). The recessive whites will breed like blacks for that first generation. Then you breed the black offspring to each other. Keep the birds that match your desired coloring the closest to breed. It will takes years, and a lot of careful selection, but it's do-able.

One potential problem I see with your breed choices to bring in the color is the skin color. Empordanesa is a yellow skin breed. The breeds that you are considering are white skinned. White skin is dominant over yellow. The Marans have the columbian pattern inhibitor (black collar). The recessive whites will breed like blacks for that first generation. Then you breed the black offspring to each other. Keep the birds that match your desired coloring the closest to breed. It will takes years, and a lot of careful selection, but it's do-able.
I liked the idea of using penedesenca because so much else is so similar and they are closely related thank you for the advise

Back
Top Bottom