Color genetics thread.

Pics
I got this chick as a mystery freebie with an order I got from a local seller. She's a mixed breed, we know dad was a Brahma from the feathered feet, but she didn't remember who mom was. From the crest we determined either polish or maybe Swedish flower.

What genes are at play as far as y'all can tell?

Black ends on the chest feathers,

And lovely penciling/maybe double lacing on the side and shoulder feathers?

I got this chick as a mystery freebie with an order I got from a local seller. She's a mixed breed, we know dad was a Brahma from the feathered feet, but she didn't remember who mom was. From the crest we determined either polish or maybe Swedish flower.

What genes are at play as far as y'all can tell?

Black ends on the chest feathers,

And lovely penciling/maybe double lacing on the side and shoulder feathers?
What type comb does she have ? That could help identify the mix . She looks kind or dark red in the face . Could be a clue .

I would guess Swedish Flower . Polish have a V comb . I see no sign of that .

Cool, thanks! Any thoughts on what genes cause her neat coloration? I'm looking at the chicken color calculator and trying different crosses, but don't know how to "build" her to cross with potential roosters.

Cool, thanks! Any thoughts on what genes cause her neat coloration? I'm looking at the chicken color calculator and trying different crosses, but don't know how to "build" her to cross with potential roosters.
Partridge Brahma is double laced on the female . She had a gold/red dad as gold and silver are sex linked . Females can not be both so her dad was red/gold .

Hi everyone. This is an Ideal 236 pullet. I was wondering if she was silver based, and if it's possible to make sex links by putting a RIR cock bird over her.

Hi everyone. This is an Ideal 236 pullet. I was wondering if she was silver based, and if it's possible to make sex links by putting a RIR cock bird over her.

They use Leghorns to create this mixed breed. It's dominant white, not silver, but there could be silver under the white. Not recommended for sexlink breedings though.

You can not use white leghrons to make silver/gold sex linked chickens. The genetics of the white leghron is all wrong for the cross. You could use a bird like a delaware female and a RIR male.

Back
Top Bottom