Color genetics thread.

Pics
That does make sense. Sorry I got confused earlier.... I get distracted too easily.
So, breeding the barred daughters to any black/blue male would cause all the males to be barred. I wouldn't necessarily have to breed them back to their father to get barred roosters? And those chicks would be "black sexlinks"?
Correct
You said, "All of those boys are black sexlinks"
I never would have though of that since they are blue and splash, but blue and splash are black at the E locus. duh, LOL

wappoke's comment about their markings being unusual triggered another question though. How can they have barred markings and not have the barred gene?? I would think they look different than typical barring because they don't have a slow feathering gene to give them crisp tight stripes. Their mother is cuckoo, and cuckoo is barring without the slow feathering gene which makes the stripes wider and more blurred. Correct me if I'm wrong.
They are barred. No question about that. However, the Blue/Black/Splash gene does have somewhat of an inhibiting effect on the barring.

Last edited:
I didn't read all the questions here so point it out to me if it's answered.. my question is how can you breed for a lemon male? What do they look like? I would like to breed lemons, but I believe that you have to have a lemon cock.. the hens don't pass the gene..

Yes.. the dilute color..
Thank you.
1f60a.png

@junebuggena

Is porcelain white on the earlobes dominant or recessive?? My Ameraucana cockerel has a spot of it on his earlobes and I know the breed isn't' supposed to have it.
In my experience with Easter Eggers, it's a recessive. And some of my birds have had a slight tinge of white to their earlobes that faded after they were about a year old. Might be a result of multiple genes. Not really sure.

@ Junebuggena-
Ok.. what is the color strain for lavender? I believe that I have a male Blue spread rubella, and I also have a lemon spread? Female. Could I breed those two to get more lemons?

Colour question, I found two different answers online!!

Chocolate Orp roo over blue Orp hen. What do I get?

Colour calculator says
25% mauve F
25% chocolate F
25% blue M
25% black M

Website with a good breakdown of colour breeding (everything on it have experience with is correct, but I'm new to chocolate). Lists this....

25% mauve F
25% black F
25% blue M
25% black M

Back
Top Bottom