Color genetics thread.

Pics
I didn't read all the questions here so point it out to me if it's answered.. my question is how can you breed for a lemon male? What do they look like? I would like to breed lemons, but I believe that you have to have a lemon cock.. the hens don't pass the gene..
what breed of chicken are you referring to that has lemon in the variety, Lemon blue OEGB is an example or lemon porcelain dutch bantam is another example. The two different breeds are genetically different but can be described as lemon. then you have the Europeans that call lemon colored birds citron as in citron sebrights

Colour question, I found two different answers online!!

Chocolate Orp roo over blue Orp hen. What do I get?

Colour calculator says
25% mauve F
25% chocolate F
25% blue M
25% black M

Website with a good breakdown of colour breeding (everything on it have experience with is correct, but I'm new to chocolate). Lists this....

25% mauve F
25% black F
25% blue M
25% black M

1st one is correct. Chocolate is sex-linked recessive so a chocolate male will always have chocolate based female offspring and all his sons will carry it.

Second one they must have meant choc F instead of black F

Has anyone bred a Partridge rooster to a Silver hen?

I'm looking for pictures of the sexable chicks and grow outs. Wondering if it's worth building a new coop for this project.
Chicks will be sexlinked. All should be partridge in pattern. It may be difficult to sex based on chick down at first, but once they begin to feather in, you should be able to tell the silver males from the gold females in just a week or so.

Chicks will be sexlinked. All should be partridge in pattern. It may be difficult to sex based on chick down at first, but once they begin to feather in, you should be able to tell the silver males from the gold females in just a week or so. 

Thanks! You're AWEsome!I guess I'm trying to make it more complicated than it is. So Partridge pattern and different colors. Prefect!

So, just out of curiosity.... What would be the result of Partridge over white?

Cochins! I hadn't even planned on having them. But we received a Blue Cochin rooster add a mystery chick in an order. My family fell in LOVE with him (the fluffy pants). So I had ordered a White and Partridge hen for him. The Partridge ended up being a rooster too. I like the idea of the Sexlinked chicks with the Partridge and so I'm just wondering if I keep the Blue at all.

Here is King, our Blue Cochin rooster.

My Partridge rooster so far.

And my little White Cochin hen so far.

In the coop King (the Blue Cochin) is suppose to go in has a Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Salmon Favorelle, and a Blue Polish hen.

So, just out of curiosity.... What would be the result of Partridge over white?

Cochins! I hadn't even planned on having them. But we received a Blue Cochin rooster add a mystery chick in an order. My family fell in LOVE with him (the fluffy pants). So I had ordered a White and Partridge hen for him. The Partridge ended up being a rooster too. I like the idea of the Sexlinked chicks with the Partridge and so I'm just wondering if I keep the Blue at all.

Here is King, our Blue Cochin rooster.

My Partridge rooster so far.

And my little White Cochin hen so far.

In the coop King (the Blue Cochin) is suppose to go in has a Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Salmon Favorelle, and a Blue Polish hen.
White Cochins are usually recessive white, and when crossed to different varieties, breed like a solid black bird.

Back
Top Bottom