Color genetics thread.

I hatched out these two chicks I know whose parents the chick on the left is (the blue one) but the chick on the right I'm unsure of.
I think it came from a Cochin egg so the moms could be lavender or splash, and if the mother is Cochin the father is a buff brahma because it has a pea comb.
But if the mother is a buff brahma then I think the father is my blue Cochin roo.

So who are the parents and what color will it grow up to be?

Who are the parents? The chick has started getting brahma lookin wing feathers and I was wondering if it was all brahma but it's markings are a little strange to be all brahma.

So are her parents a splash or lavender Cochin mom and a buff brahma Dad.
Or a buff brahma mom and a blue Cochin Dad

Quick question: I crossed a creole cock over wheaten hen. Several of the roosters that I raised from this mating came as imperfect red laced. Is the young rooster carrying the barred gene?

Quick question: I crossed a creole cock over wheaten hen. Several of the roosters that I raised from this mating came as imperfect red laced. Is the young rooster carrying the barred gene?

Barring is dominant. One copy gives you a chicken that appears darker than two copies would. But, the barring is obvious if they chicken has it. It looks like your Creole cock has only one copy of the barring gene because I'm not seeing barring on this cockerel.

Who are the parents? The chick has started getting brahma lookin wing feathers and I was wondering if it was all brahma but it's markings are a little strange to be all brahma.

So are her parents a splash or lavender Cochin mom and a buff brahma Dad.
Or a buff brahma mom and a blue Cochin Dad

No one knows? I think the mom is lavender Cochin and the Dad is the buff brahma

What combination of these chickens-
Roos: Buff brahma bantam, blue Cochin bantam

Hens: buff brahma, lavender Cochin, or splash Cochin.

- would make this light brahma colored chick?

It has a pea comb so it's half brahma

Last edited:
Ha, chickens are like a box of chocolates in the fact you never know what you are going to get! Hidden traits can always arise from within. If you have a box of crayons and blend 2 or 3 different colors together, (shading), the outcome generally produces a color within the spectrum, but not always! We know oil and water don't mix well and they separate. Colors when mixed can separate also and give a splash or unknown effect such as barring or something totally different.. Some color transfers are dominant from the rooster, (such as barring effect), transferring to the hens. Working with solid colors can be more predictable to the outcome. Confused? There are genetic guidelines or color equations describing what should be the outcome by percentage of predictability. Black to black = 100% black and so on. It is all formulated as a standard of practice. But! It can take multiple generations to get a color to start breeding true within a new color strain. It is easier to go to a paint store and look and hundreds of color charts and choose which one you like. They mix the paint dye additives and you have the perfect shade and color you want!
Crossbreeding a specific breed of 2 different colors can awe you with an oddball hatch color you fall in love with and want more of the same! You are gold mining and struck it rich! Its rare and you have an itch for more. Got to love that yellow pigment! Keep digging.

​Ha, chickens are like a box of chocolates in the fact you never know what you are going to get! Hidden traits can always arise from within. If you have a box of crayons and blend 2 or 3 different colors together, (shading), the outcome generally produces a color within the spectrum, but not always! We know oil and water don't mix well and they separate. Colors when mixed can separate also and give a splash or unknown effect such as barring or something totally different.. Some color transfers are dominant from the rooster, (such as barring effect), transferring to the hens.  Working with solid colors can be more predictable to the outcome. Confused? There are genetic guidelines or color equations describing what should be the outcome by percentage of predictability. Black to black = 100% black and so on. It is all formulated as a standard of practice. But! It can take multiple generations to get a color to start breeding true within a new color strain. It is easier to go to a paint store and look and hundreds of color charts and choose which one you like. They mix the paint dye additives and you have the perfect shade and color you want!
  Crossbreeding a specific breed of 2 different colors can awe you with an oddball hatch color you fall in love with and want more of the same! You are gold mining and struck it rich! Its rare and you have an itch for more. Got to love that yellow pigment! Keep digging.

Lol thanks. Been doing alot of research but lets be straight here. The formations can become confusing. Its like I'm taking algebra in school again lol. Black to black equaling black is easy to understand even for the newcomers. Wish i could find more charts like this that weren't just black,blue and splash. They are impossible to find lol.

Back
Top Bottom