Color genetics thread.

Bought a new rooster this afternoo.... black tail white. He is only half grown... be that makes it easier to integrate him into the flock.

When he is mature I will put the blue tail hen into a pen on her own.. and let him go and visit her a while each day.

I just hope he grown up fast!

Just in case anyone may be curious about how buff coloring in Polish chickens interacts with other genes... here are two chicks that each have one buff laced Polish parent. The white one's mother is a buff colored easter egger. The other chick's mother is a gold laced Polish. They have the same buff laced Polish father.

In Polish Crested chickens, dominant white plays a role in the changing gold with black edging into buff with white edging. Since both chicks each have only one copy of the gene they will have splashes of color and/or black here and there.

Also just for fun... Here is what the combs of two Polish X easter egger cockerels look like. The mothers both have tight pea combs and the father has a V-comb. The front half of these combs look like exaggerated pea combs and the back half of their combs have multiple prongs. I find it totally fascinating. The white pullet has the same shape of comb, but much smaller.

for breeding olive eggers, which of these options is best for producing layers of darker olive eggers??
(1) F1 olive egger hens with an F1 olive egger rooster
(2) Marans hens with an F1 olive egger rooster
(3) F1 olive egger hens with a Marans rooster

Question for the experts, please.
A cross of a light Sussex cock over a Cuckoo Marans hen. what will the sex linked chicks look like? will any of them be plain yellow like a Light Sussex chick?
Thank you,
Karen

Question for the experts, please.
A cross of a light Sussex cock over a Cuckoo Marans hen. what will the sex linked chicks look like? will any of them be plain yellow like a Light Sussex chick?
Thank you,
Karen

Pullets will be black
Cockerels will be barred

Thank you Moonshiner ! that sure is a relief !I wasn't sure what I was going to do if they were going to be yellow .
Karen

Would someone please tell me how I got this light brahma colored chick?
I think the father was a buff brahma and the mother was a lavender or splash Cochin. There are other possibilities, he has a pea comb.

Okay,
The chick has a pea comb so it has to have either a buff brahma mom or a buff brahma dad. (I only have two brahmas and they're both buff. And no other chickens with pea combs) these chickens are all bantams:

Blue Cochin cockerel. He has some gold at the back of his hackle feathers.
And if he was the father this buff brahma bantam hen has to be the mother:

And if this buff brahma rooster was the father:

Then I think either my splash Pullet:

Or my lavender Pullet are the most likely mothers.

Once again, these are all bantams. I'm not sure if that matters.
Also I think the chick has green eyes. The buff brahma rooster had two chicks with green eyes (a male and a female) last year when he was crossed with a mottled Cochin hen.

And here is a picture of the male, light brahma colored chick again.

The chick has gotten some barred feathers...?

Some on the tail and neck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom