Color Mishaps

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Post pictures of feathers on your birds that aren't the right color. Just wanna shoe mine off and see what other people have

Black Sumatra hen:
20210518_195957.jpg
20210518_195953.jpg

Buff Laced Sebright Pullet
20210528_181152.jpg

Rules:
Actual off colored feathers, not just a whole mixed color bird.
Use your own pictures
Say the color, breed and gender of your bird with the picture

Wow! She looks spangled! I’ve never seen it at that level before. It’s weirdly even. Basically an unmottled speckled Sussex.
My bantam Buckeyes might get a few black speckles or black hackles (I bred the black hackles out now for the most part though) but I don’t consider that strange. There’s lots of genes that have small effects on pigment, if you’re not homozygous for the red extending ones, you’ll get some black. My Buckeyes are sometimes mossy too, and usually some feathers fade with age. The color is still inconsistent but I do have a nice hen that didn’t change with age, that shows that they can retain color through genetics, not through avoiding sun exposure.
I find that I continuously select for more red in the tail feathers, which gives clearer pattern. The way I’m going, the females might have solid red feathers with only the males having black tail feathers. All acceptable in the Standard. It is interesting that you can get a self-red effect with a black-tailed red genotype.

Back
Top Bottom