Color Pack baby chick sex

Jun 14, 2019
Northwestern Oregon
So I know it's hard to sex chicks when they are tiny if they aren't sex linked. However, I thought I would see if any of you might have an idea. We got another round of chicks a week and a half ago, and just two days ago our Color Pack chick's (leghorn-X) tail suddenly grew out very long and narrow. In our last batch, our cockerel's tail grew the same way (but is a speckled Sussex), rather than being short and fan shaped like the other chicks. Has anyone else had this happen and had the chick turn out to be a pullet? We are super new to chickens and have only had one boy so far!

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 90
Can you post a picture of that chick in natural lighting, please? It’s comb growth that determines sex at this age. Saddle feathers won’t some in for a while...so "tail sexing" is off the table. :lol:

Tails aren't a good identifier at that age. These images are of a pullet, she's almost 2-years-old now and she lays eggs so I'm positive. lol

4-16-18 (1).jpg
4-16-18 (2).jpg

She actually looks a lot like my Whiting's True Blue in the photos I shared. Not always certain but from the Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, and True Blues that I've hatched the pullets seem to usually have darker and more defined "chipmunk" markings. I think you have a little girl but that's not based on any real reasoning other than what I've seen with my chicks. Lol
In a few more weeks you'll be able to get a much better idea!

She actually looks a lot like my Whiting's True Blue in the photos I shared. Not always certain but from the Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, and True Blues that I've hatched the pullets seem to usually have darker and more defined "chipmunk" markings. I think you have a little girl but that's not based on any real reasoning other than what I've seen with my chicks. Lol
In a few more weeks you'll be able to get a much better idea!

That could be interesting! I am excited to see what she becomes :)

My Color Packs were sex linked. The cockerel had a white spot on his head, the pullets did not. Cockerel is barred, pullets have no barring. Your chick looks a lot like one of my pullets at that age. Here is a pic of one of each, for comparison. I think mine are a bit younger in this photo, but I chose it because it had both of them in it, which didn't happen very often. Mine are now about 11 weeks old and I am pretty confident about gender.

ColorPackChicks.png

That said, other than the Legbar, they are very unspecific about what these crosses include. It may even vary by hatchery, so there is no guarantee that all of them are sex linked. Still, this suggests you may have a pullet.

Btw, both of mine are growing out to be beautiful birds. :love

Back
Top Bottom