Color question...

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Is black a dominant gene?

I know next to nothing about chicken/color genetics, but figured someone here definitely would.

I have chicks hatching today and the first 4 have all hatched out black. One is more of a smokey gray, the other 3 have white chests and wing tips. The dad is a Black Frizzle Cochin....the possible moms are 2 Mille Fleur d'Uccles, a Silver Sebright, 2 Wheaten OEGBs, a White Cochin or a black Japanese. I have various colored Silkie hens also (Splash, Partridge, Black, Blue, White), but none of the chicks have 5 toes or black skin...so I am mostly ruling them out.

With the hens I have, is it possible to get any color chicks but black? And will they all feather out black or is it possible for them to get some sort of color variations? I want to add some more bantams to my group and possibly frizzles, but worried all I will get are black ones.

Thanks for any help!

Your worries are justified...
wink.png

The splash (=double dose blue) and the blue (single dose) hen should produce blue offspring though, 100% and 50% respectively.

Also the black cockerels you will get could be rusty, leaking groundcolor (gold to silver).

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you will have to breed the f2 generation back to the parent bird to get the sizzle because silkie feathering doesn't show until at least the second generation?

I'm sure I will keep some of the chicks. But now I am confused about the future babies.

So if you breed a frizzle Cochin to a Silkie, all the babies that hatch will be normal hard feathered? Like the Cochin?

What will I get chick wise if I cross my Frizzle Cochin with my Silkie hens? Would half the chicks be hard feathered and half Silkie feathered? Or will I get some frizzles too?

Would I have to breed the babies back to the frizzled father to get Sizzles? Would those babies then hatch out half frizzled Silkies and half Sizzles? Ack, I am lost lol.

The 6th chick to hatch today is either black or dark blue and definitely a Frizzle Cochin/Silkie mix. Black beak & skin, 5 toes, straight comb. Am really curious to see how it will feather out.

Sonoran - whats the difference between a sizzle and a frizzled silkie?

(I just posted about this on another thread and was all proud of myself, and this sizzle/frizzled silkie thing just shot that all to hell! LOL!)

Genetically, a frizzled silkie is F/f+ h/h. Translated that is one copy of frizzle, one copy of not-frizzle; and two copies of silkie.

A sizzle is also F/f+, but should have at least one copy of H+ (not-silkie)--ideally two copies.

If I can find batteries for my camera, I will try to take a photo of both types of birds together tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom