Color questions?

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
Could a Millie Fluer D’uccle x Silkie crossed with another Millie Fluer cross produce silkie feather Millie Fluers?

Here’s my young crosses. Not sure what pattern the boy is going to end up with. I haven’t decided to keep him yet but I was really curious what he could produce crossed back the same cross.
EC600375-2DDF-45AF-AC53-C69DF9287AF1.jpeg

9C470242-3028-4C9C-A83C-C9D00CE9A5B7.jpeg

Yes and no.
I breed Mille Fleur D'Uccles, btw.

What color was the Silkie? Mille Fleur is a color, D'Uccle is a breed. You would not get pure MF D'Uccles when breeding the two crosses together.

That aside, I'll talk strictly about the coloring and silkie feathers.

Both the MF pattern and Silkie feathers are recessive in their own rights. You will get 50% Silkie feathered birds when crossing the crosses, for sure.
However, you will not get MF because the mottling is recessive, and MF also has buff and double columbian factor. Therefore, the buff would have to be pure, which it does not appear to be, the resulting offspring would need 2 copies of Columbian and 2 copies of mottling.

You might get a silkied look similar to MF, but you would have to work for several generations to breed out impurities.

I know I would not get a purebred with breeding crosses . I was wondering if I could get a Millie Fluer looking silkie cross. Millie Fluer is tan with white speckles right? So could you get the white speckles without the tan (say with black).

I also have two more chicks that look like they will end up being the same color as the cross roo above. So if the chicks had the recessive genes then it would be possible but not with either the black or grey pullet because they are not buff/tan?

Silkie rooster sire is a blue.

Mille Fleur is a 3 gene combo. It is a buff base, with Columbian black restrictors and with recessive mottling.
You need all 3 to have a Mille Fleur.

If you had a buff Silkie stag, you'd be off to a much better start. Blue won't affect the buff base color, though. Approximately 50% of the buff colored chicks should have black markings, the other half will have blue markings.

Anyway, back to your question. Yes, breeding two of the crosses together should throw about 50% mottled chicks. Keep all mottled chicks for future breeding. If you work with non mottled birds, you are setting yourself back several generations.
A black based Mille Fleur is called Blsck Mottled or simply 'mottled'. You aren't going to be getting any of those either with what you have.

And yes, don't use the black or grey pullets. They will not help you.

A mille fleur patterned bird crossed to a silkie then crossed back to another mille fleur patterned crossed with silkie can give you a mille fleur silkied offspring but you would have to produce a lot of offspring since getting all the right genes together on one offspring would be pretty high odds.

Back
Top Bottom