Color tint for EE's eggs?

Red Barn Farms

~Friendly Fowl~
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Kentucky Heartland
Hi, just wondering when ee's lay their eggs will they always be the same color with different tints each egg, or can they one time maybe be bluish then the next egg be greenish? Does each EE lay different colors, or are they all the same? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Not a stupid question at all - we all learned this stuff too.

EE's are mixes and can lay any color egg, including brown or white.

Once they begin laying, they will lay the same color, generally speaking. If she lay's green, there can be some variation. A green egg is a blue egg with brown spray paint. So if in the process of laying, the spray paint isn't added regularly or at all, the color will be different.

I've had an interesting experience lately with my Easter Egger. I've definitely noticed that she sometimes lays a bluer egg and sometimes a greener one. (I know for sure because I've actually witnessed both kinds come out of her!) Now, I could be crazy, but I've noticed that the greener egg seems to coincide with when the girls have had a pumpkin or a squash they've been working on in the coop. Is that at all possible--that the carotene in the vegetable could be having an effect on shell color?

S.

Back
Top Bottom