COLORADO Egg Producers

KimKat33

Songster
Mar 7, 2020
Colorado
Hello everyone,

I know the law on Colorado eggs has changed, but I am not writing regarding the cage-free ordinance.

I want to know what I must do as a small, unlicensed producer. I plan on only selling directly to consumers and no more than 40 cases of eggs.

I want to know what I have to do.
I understand I have to have the proper labeling (address, package date, safe handling instructions, and the 'these eggs do not come from a government-approved source' label) but do I need that if I sell off the farm or directly to the consumer? The wording on the colorado site makes it seem as if I only need that if I sell at farmer's markets. And as far as washing, sanitizing, and candling, do I have to do that? I never sell dirtied eggs, I will keep those, but I don't wash the eggs before I sell them either.

I'd check a college for your state. Mine is UT. The site walked me through what to do for my state. I have to wash the eggs, rinse. Then dip in a bleach solution of one tbsp bleach to one gallon water. Then air dry. I have to use clean cartons that are unused prior.

Back
Top Bottom