How to label Jumbo eggs for sale?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, I have an inspection certificate to sell eggs in stores and they have been selling pretty well. My hens' eggs have increased in size tremendously, like from medium-large to jumbo overnight. (Not sure if this is due to installing some more lights in the coop, or trying oregano oil in their water.) These eggs won't fit into the plastic egg cartons I have in stock. Now, the law says the eggs must be labeled as 'ungraded, mixed size', but what if I buy duck egg cartons for these jumbo eggs and sell the jumbo eggs separately at a higher price - how should those be labeled? Thanks! Happy holidays!

Last edited:
You would need to check with your state Department of Agriculture for their rules/laws as mine here in WI would be different than others perhaps. Ours goes by weights, then has the labeling of such after that.

Sometimes as hens age, their eggs can get a little bit larger just because of that. I highly doubt lights has anything to do with it, and oregano oil is a great natural antibiotic but not sure it helps with egg size. Regardless, good luck and Happy Holidays!

Back
Top Bottom