Colorado

lau.gif
In a former life I was an electrician, so power will be run for heat and heated water. What I didn't mention earlier is there are 2 Pekin ducks to consider. The flock is actually getting smaller, as the Roo's are being given away to good homes. All in all, I really don't have a clue what I'm into.

An electrician in a former life....Hmm......I'm looking into my crystal ball and see you visiting me when I put in the power to the compound....... Yes, it's definately you. I can see you running wire and installing the breaker.....Yup.

old.gif

Don't tempt me, Wendell. You may never get rid of me. I'm a land surveyor, and always a brewmaster...
Pichurus, excuse my spelling, the pro was here and confirmed the roo status. One is a BO, like you thought, and the other is an EE, or Americauna (I never knew they were the same thing). They are both 9 weeks, 1 day old and up for adoption to a loving home
love.gif
Anyone willing to swing by Franktown could save them from the chopping block. If not I'll find out where you live and stick them in your coop
D.gif

Last edited:
Today is day 21 as I recall, right? So your hatch is coming along nicely! The chicks are fine staying in the incubator for 48 hours, but I do understand your concern about the mess. Your hands may fall asleep from sitting on them, but you are doing the right thing. The pipped chicks need the humidity to finish hatching. Can't wait to see pics!
Yes, today is the BIG 21. And I'm not home to enjoy the fruits of my labor. lol
I'll take pics when they aren't in a messy bator. Not looking forward to cleaning it.

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to backyard chickens. So please excuse what may be a silly question... I have a very small flock, young, inside the Colorado Springs city limits :2 EE's, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Barred Rock (who I suspect is a rooster). I've just moved them from their brooder inside to their coop outside, but they have decided that they would rather sleep on ground in a heap than sleep inside the coop. For a couple of night now, I've had to "put them to bed" by hand. Is this normal? How long will it take them to learn to use their chicken ladder to access their elevated coop (they use it to get down in the morning without a problem)?

Also, I have read that you should have a minimum of 4 chickens in your flock for winter warmth. Is this true? If my Barred Rock is really a rooster, and has to go, should I try to replace him quickly with a pullet of similar age? I know that pecking order can be an issue...
Oh, yeah, very normal to have to put them to bed. The least amount of times I've had to is 3 days and another batch 6 days. Pretty soon they'll be by passing the ladder and flying direct.

Send a pic of your possible BR roo plenty of us that can determine usually from just a picture.
Don't tempt me, Wendell. You may never get rid of me. I'm a retired land surveyor now. Still a brewmaster...
Pichurus, excuse my spelling, the pro was here and confirmed the roo status. One is a BO, like you thought, and the other is an EE, or Americauna (I never knew they were the same thing). They are both 9 weeks, 1 day old and up for adoption to a loving home
love.gif
Anyone willing to swing by Franktown could save them from the chopping block. If not I'll find out where you live and stick them in the coop
D.gif
PMd ya again.

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to backyard chickens. So please excuse what may be a silly question... I have a very small flock, young, inside the Colorado Springs city limits :2 EE's, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Barred Rock (who I suspect is a rooster). I've just moved them from their brooder inside to their coop outside, but they have decided that they would rather sleep on ground in a heap than sleep inside the coop. For a couple of night now, I've had to "put them to bed" by hand. Is this normal? How long will it take them to learn to use their chicken ladder to access their elevated coop (they use it to get down in the morning without a problem)?

Also, I have read that you should have a minimum of 4 chickens in your flock for winter warmth. Is this true? If my Barred Rock is really a rooster, and has to go, should I try to replace him quickly with a pullet of similar age? I know that pecking order can be an issue...
Have you tried locking them in their coop for several days (with food and water), with no access to the run? That teaches them where "home" is..... Just be sure temps inside the coop aren't over 80...... (This is what I have read.... not tried, since my coop is still not finished).

An electrician in a former life....Hmm......I'm looking into my crystal ball and see you visiting me when I put in the power to the compound....... Yes, it's definately you. I can see you running wire and installing the breaker.....Yup.

old.gif

So wsmith...how's that chicken project since last winter?

I popped in today to update my thread and you guys have gone on for 6547 posts since last November...OMG!
ep.gif

The new coop. This is day 2 of construction.

The left side will be the coop part while the right side (of this pic) will be the run. You can barely see there are already windows (they're closed here) and the floor is framed to be 2' off the ground. I plan on making a people door into the coop with exterior nesting boxes on either side. The run end will also have a people door. The whole thing is 15' X 11' X 7' tall, so far. Question - Is a 4' X 11' X 5' tall coop big enough for 9 hens and a roo? Let me know before too much damage is done, as I plan on doing alot more
tongue.png
Anyone with a paint sprayer and trencher is welcome to bring them over. We'll have a coop warming party
big_smile.png

Plenty of room for your flock. Opinions about adequate room abound, I think ideally 4 square feet per bird, so you are fine. I like the design - will you be shading a portion of the run or is it to the East of the building next to it? Never even used a paint sprayer or trencher, so I fear I am of no use to you.

Hi Everyone,

Welcome! There are no silly questions here, ask anything. It is common to have to put them into the coop the first few to several days. I moved 10 youngsters out to a coop where 2 adult hens know to go to bed every night and still had to put the littles in the coop five nights in a row. They'll figure it out.

What are the indications your BR may be male? BR hens can have pretty good sized combs and wattles, does this one peck at you or exhibit other male behaviors?

Its me again, lol.

22 hatched
2 pipped
1 deceased hatchling. I haven't opened the bator but I feel I need to remove him. I've looked at the hatching guides and it says nothing about removing the deceased while still in lock down. Anyone?

I discovered (with help from friendly people on this site and Chickens Magazine) that my rooster had bumblefoot. I was able to do surgical procedure all by myself for my very first time!!!! He behaved during the surgery and it came out wonderful!!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom