Colorado

Holy smoke, there's been a LOT going on here! (On the thread, I mean.) So many posts I wanted to comment on, but I was afraid I wouldn't find where I left off, again. I agree yesterday felt like it was 100 degrees or over. I was NOT believing any thermometer that said otherwise, and neither were my chickens. I gave them frozen melons. Later gave them small tubs of ice water. Sprayed their runs with water a couple of times. Glad I was home. They all looked like they were ready to stroke.

Hubby and I woke up yesterday morning to the sound of water rushing through our kitchen. At first, I thought the dogs had messed with their air cooler (out in the sunroom), but no, a filter under our kitchen sink had cracked. By the time we were up and came downstairs, the kitchen, dining room, living room...well, heck... 3/4 of the main floor was flooded. But wait! That's not all. Water was running down the basement stairs, down the cinder walls in the basement, and dripping off of conduit and beams. The basement had an inch of water standing in some areas (furthest from the drain). All of my empty jars on shelves were FULL of water. Two jars of canned chili were knocked off of a shelf, and I had chili mixed with mason jars to wet-vac.

We worked on the main floor from 7 A.M. until nearly 2 P.M. Pulled out ALL of the flooring and ran the shop vac. Then we worked on the basement until after midnight. We still have work to do.

Plus side? Well, the carpet was old and needed changed.
big_smile.png
We had way too much stuff in the basement and needed to purge.
thumbsup.gif
And I REALLY did not want to go to work yesterday.
wee.gif

Very sore today, though, from the up and down the stairs and loading trash in the pickup.
hmm.png

Very sorry for the novel! Thanks for "listening". :)
Right Click on 'quote' and select 'open in another tab'. That will open your response tab in another window and leave the page you are looking at alone.

Sorry about the leak, had that happen when I was in high school to my parents house, the toilet upstairs leaked and flooded both up stairs and down, up to 4 inches in the kitchen. The house leaned a bit. Mother got nice pink carpet for the house, everywhere but my room (ugh). Was funny to see her reaction since she also painted the walls a shade of pink before replacing the carpet. My poor brother, he was a mommas boy and paid dearly for it.
pop.gif

I this morning I had a vender audit scheduled..... I dress up in slacks, nice shoes, and nice shirt, I've got my forms, and I'm ready to go.....

Then I act on a hunch and give them a call to confirm the time.

They say "Oh didn't so and so call you? We can't do it today. We'll have to reschedule. How about on the 5th of July?" Not even! I have that day off! so now it's rescheduled for later in the month.

And now I have to work on the pile of forms and paperwork sitting on my desk that I was going to put off.......

th.gif

Yesterday I spent an hour or more on the phone (over the course of the whole day) tracking down doctors to sign some prescription refills for Beth. One nurse wanted her to wait 6 weeks for a Dr appointment before signing!!!.....Nope, you can get up off your behind and and walk 20 feet to get the doctor to sign these. We'll make an appointment, but she isn't waiting that long for her meds! "Oh, ok, I'll get her chart", she says. 1 hour later I'm picking up the precriptions at the pharmacy.

Some people can be just so dumb.
smack.gif
I am glad you got her to work with you sometimes people just don't understand how important something like that is to take care of ASAP.

I need some advice from all the wise chicken owners here. I have three 15 week old pullets. They cohabitate with my older girls. I just finished a bag of all flock feed. Before I moved them in together I had bought a bag of layer feed. Can I feed them the layer or do I need to go buy another bag of all flock?
On a totally different note, since P-Funk mentioned goats. Are there any goat lovers on this thread? I need to sell one of my fiber goats (this is not an ad).

Someone had mentioned earlier about the pages loading slowly, and I am starting to think it is because of the ads on each and every page. There are two running on every page I open up here on BYC now. Just makes you wonder????????
That was me. 4 megs of ram and a 15 meg connection are no match for corporate America.
You can become a Golden Feather Member if you want to skip the wally world ads.

Last edited:
Yes, try looking into Freedom Rangers. IMHO they are way better than Cornish. Still messy and grow fast, but not nearly as bad. I will never do Cornish again.
I've also raised Freedom Rangers and this year are raising some "red rangers". A few of the roosters were trying to crow before they were of butchering age, but the noise was sort of a comical bleat, like someone trying to play a trumpet with a mute. The noise didn't carry very far.

That's it, Wendell, I challenge you to a tight rope race across the Grand Canyon. Between the abandoned goat, the soon-to-be abandoned chicks, and the new job, this is is just too much. I'm gonna do what the puppy does and lay flat on the laundry room floor all day, where it's nice, cool, and quiet.

You are frog dogging it!

I think everyone is hibernating in the cool of the house. Feb. we are all hiding from the cold and wind. Oh well, I just came in from a ride on my horse as it is a bit cooler up here...., he he!

I need some advice from all the wise chicken owners here. I have three 15 week old pullets. They cohabitate with my older girls. I just finished a bag of all flock feed. Before I moved them in together I had bought a bag of layer feed. Can I feed them the layer or do I need to go buy another bag of all flock?
On a totally different note, since P-Funk mentioned goats. Are there any goat lovers on this thread? I need to sell one of my fiber goats (this is not an ad).

I bet you could switch them to layer, especially if they are starting to redden up a little. If they were late maturing breeds, then I would say go with the all flock.

Last edited:
I bet you could switch them to layer, especially if they are starting to redden up a little. If they were late maturing breeds, then I would say go with the all flock.
Well the Cuckoo Marans looks like this:

The other two are Buff Brahma (late maturing) and Partridge Rock (I think average maturing)

Back
Top Bottom